Newbie - Advice please!

S

Spuffington

Hi all,

My first post here - just wondered if I could pick your brains a bit!!

I'm looking for a motor for my Fiancee who hasn't driven for a while. My Mum has a 2001 (Y) 1.4SE+ Micra. It's done 17k and been serviced regularly. Only problem I'm aware of is that the electric window on the drivers side keeps coming out of its mounting. I'm considering buying it off her in Summer this year.

I'm just wondering if you can give me the heads up on whether there are any problems to look out for in this model. Are there any weaknesses? Things that go wrong easily? Also, does it need its timing belt replaced about now (i.e. 5 years old) and if so, how much does this cost with a dealer?

Thanks for your help guys!

Cheers,

Dunk

hi with the k11's the problems that occur are the sills rust and the front crossmember rusts. however with the car not being old it probably won't have these probs.

k11 micras don't have timing belts, they have chains so when they need replacing chances are so does the engine lol.

and welcome to the msc :)

ur window problem will be simple for a dealer to sort out aswell, will just need a new mount as the glue will not be sticking properly to keep the mount in place and it will continue to drop, some people do it themselves and use silicone.

Cheers guys.

So basically, no need to worry about the timing chain then. That's cool.

How easy is it to sort out this window problem then? It's been to the dealers three times with it and they keep trying to fix it. Is it a case of just taking off the door card and gluing it in? I'm pretty handy with mechanical things, albeit never done major stuff on a car. Would I be able to have a go do you think?

Thanks for your help so far! :)

Yeah you should be able to mate, try getting a haynes if you can as it will tell you most things in there aswell, u'll not be able to get one for your year, but the mechanics are all the same.

Hi Spuffington (Spuffy?)

You can do the window thing yourself. It happened to me, only on the passenger's side. The glass slipped out of the lower channel and wedged itself in the vertical channels. Remove the door card, around six screws and eight or ten plastic clips (can't remember!) and then disconnect the electric clip. Clean the dried adhesive from the lower channel and the glass and fit the glass back in the lower channel and the front and rear vertical channels.
Reconnect the electric clip and blip the glass up and down a little to make sure it's not binding. If it all looks okay, raise the glass out of the lower channel and apply a liberal dose of adhesive. I used silicone and it's holding okay. While you've got the card off you might want to give the lock and handle mechanism a little lubrication.

S

Yes mate, there right. Do the window thing yourself, i had to do it to my car on saturday and i had to do it to my old micra aswell, you should be able to figure it out once the door card is off

Cheers guys - I'm pretty confident I'll be able to do that if and when it happens again.

So that's sorted then.......about 6 months time I'll buy it for the missus for a little run-around. Anything to keep her away from my Celica!!! LOL!!! :D

Thanks for your help guys.

Am having same problem with my window, tried loads and it's still coming off, if you find something that works post it up and I will too.

Another celica lover I see.....soon enough I will have one like j.a.kelly and elliot

Back