Newbie need advice

B

benwillsher

Hi I've got myself an untouched Micra K11 1996/7 and am wondering what to do with it. I haven't done much modding before, apart from installing an amp/sub/speakers in a friends car.

I'm not too bothered about the performance for now, but I'd just like to improve the car aesthetically. I haven't got too much money either, so just some basics to make it look better. I'm looking at about maximum 400-500 quid.

I definately want to get nicer alloys, does that mean I need bigger wheels? What size wheels do I have on there?

Any ideas for starters?

Below is a pic of my car. It's got a long way to go!

micra.jpg

Bumpers - colour coding them, get some SuperS bumpers or even aftermarket ones.
Colour coding - handles, wing mirrors, bump strips (or remove them)
Alloy wheels - 15's or bigger.
Lowering - self explanitory.
Backbox - new backbox looks better and sounds good!

These are what I say make the car better to start with.
If you get bigger wheels I'd suggest lowering as when I saw 15's on a non-lowered micra it looked like a 4x4!

Cheers for the tips goldstar. How much would it cost for lowering and a set of 15's? Do you need a specialty place to lower the car? Where should I get the wheels from? Saw some on ebay here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72250&item=7985122244&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Any good?

MicraK10 said:
or you could save your money and buy a better car...
Sure, but for now I'm sticking to the micra, cos the insurance is cheap.

My dad got it for 1,200 2.5 years ago - is that a bit much? It's just been sitting around since then. Hence I might be getting it. I don't really have enough money for a car, but I've got enough to mod this one a bit.

my advise is if you dont want to spend too much on it,,

15" alloys,,it dont look bad at all if its not lowerd..IMO
decent size backbox 3",,4"
if you want to colour code,,do it yurself,if not just keep it cleen and tidy and it will look a nice tidy example of a micra

Are there any recognised brands for alloys? Or is it just how they look? Also what's a good price for 15's?

try ebay. youll get a bargain, garanteed.

to start with you dont need killer mods just simple things. wheels and an exhaust. with your budget id recomend 14'' wheels, a spoiler and a back box.

i thinkso,but the tyre profile is alot higher than wot you will get on a 15" alloy,,

so basicly you get more wheel less tyre! but they work out about the same in diameter

a 15" alloy wheel with 195/45/15 tyres has the same diameter more or less as a 14" steelie with 165/65/14 tyres.

I say steelie as my comparison was made against my current 15" alloys against my original steel wheels.

go a scrappys and find some super s bumpers, remove bump strips, use petrol to get rid on the bond, go to halfords or somewere like that and get a spray can of the same colour as you car an colour code your wing mirrors and rear number plate light housing, buy some 35mm drop springs, a remus exaust, and some 15/16inch alloys off ebay, for 16's u have to have 195/45/16 tyres or 195/40/16, for micra fitment u need a pcd of 100, offset 35-45 and a bore of 59.1, then maybe get some window tint for ur rear quaters, then all your money will be gone, but your car will look realy nice, good luck flower

good luck flower??

nice alloys DEF set a car off, and colour coding. tint would look good on the colour imo

If you're on a tight budget - you're best off getting some second hand alloys rather than brand new. I've had 4 sets of rims on mine - all seconds from eBay. Generally pick up a set for about £150 - leaving more money for the rest.

just thinking i have a set of alloys....wolfrace, for sale, 100 with tyres and nuts, pm me if ur interested, and i'll send u some pics, same goes to any1 else interested, chz petal....

I have some si alloys with firestone tyres for £100 and also a sportex backbox for £25 but back box needs a good clean!

Better move this thread to the for sale bit!!!!

If you are in the Blackpool / St.Annes area, get down to Permazaust. They'll do you a good deal on a cat-back stainless steel exhaust, and for most other bits, including alloys, see what WaxaCar in Runcorn have to offer (www.waxacar.co.uk). Got some really good stuff off them.

Also Maplin is not a bad place to start for any electrics you might want to do (neons, i.c.e wiring)

i am intersted in the alloy wheels for sale and the sportex back box if they are still up for grabs would you be able to tell me if they are this is to micraSkyline and ricardo swarez thanx
LeZ

Super S / SR Bumpers
Super S / SR Spoiler
Super S / SR Interior
Colour Coding
Lowered
15' Nissan Alloys
3-4" Backbox
Induction kit

Some one delete my last post, dont know how it ended up in here! i posted it in that newbie thread!

EDIT: big lez confused me, dont delete it!!. delete this one!

goldstar0011 said:
If you get bigger wheels I'd suggest lowering as when I saw 15's on a non-lowered micra it looked like a 4x4!

Like mine was lmao :D

I had exactly the same micra as you with the black bumpers etc. I got the Super S Kit, 15" Alloys, Tinted Windows, Lowering Springs 70mm, Remus Backbox, Pipercross Induction Kit,

u need to colour code the bumpstrips too (like i have to lol) and could always go for the smoothed boot which im looking into :)

big_lez said:
i am intersted in the alloy wheels for sale and the sportex back box if they are still up for grabs would you be able to tell me if they are this is to micraSkyline and ricardo swarez thanx
LeZ

Sold my alloys to Paddymarsden!! also gave him the backbox, I think you can get the sportex backbox for around £80 off ebay.

As for basic modding on 'benwillsher' car, I would. .

1, Get some second hand 14'' alloys - £100
2, 35mm springs - £80 or under
3, K&N replacement filter - £40
4, Tower strut brace - £40
5, Decent back box - £80

I think that would improve handling and give a tiny extra on performance and sound!!!

Back