New to motoring as well Micra

Hello everyone,

This is Hakim. I am learning how to drive. I don't know much about cars. I bought a corsa which was stolen and now I have an R reg 1.3 GX micra.

Couple of weeks/months back I was searching for fixing remote/fob and cam across this site. I was amazed how a beautifull sight this is. In fact this site made me think twice about my car. Initially I got the car just to learn driving and get rid of it. Since visiting this site, I am quite sort of attached to the car. It has 121k on the clock and starts first time. Everything is okay apart from a hessing noise which I don't know which part it belongs to. The only thing that I am sure of is it is from the engine area.

I came from Birmingham(some one was driving it) doing 70 on the motorway 3 monts ago.

I wanted to go on a motorway again, but was not sure if the car is safe or not?

A friend who has a garage told me that since it has 121k on the clock it might need a timing belt replacing. I don't know if it does or not. I was searching the life expectincy of timing belt on micra and notice that some models has a timing instead of timing belt. To be hones I don't the difference.

Can some one please educate me in that regard and advise me if it is safe to take the car on motorway?

Regards
Hakim

hi hakin.... you won't have to worry about the timing belt because the k11 has a timing chain (well looked after it'll last longer than the car), can you say which side of the car the noise is coming from?

if it has an MOT it should at least be suitable for motorways

engine has timing chain, lasts as long as the car and worst that could happen is a noisy stretched chain

a constant hissing noise could be a loose air vacuum leak
a pulsating hiss could be a blowing exhaust leak

Back