Benefits of a coilpack setup for performance motoring

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Hi everyone,

I'm shortly returning to Australia, which means I'll be getting my hands dirty building my own little turbo monster :D

I still haven't sorted out the dizzy to coilpack conversion completely. Frank has given me good clues to go on but the whole puzzle is missing pieces...

Could anyone knowledgeable please explain:

If the car is capable of pushing around 200kw, and I keep the normal dizzy setup, what problems will arise?

Spell it out people because I don't know a thing about this part of the upgrade.

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
Hey Pierce,
I only have limited knowledge myself about this but from what I have researched, your best bet would be to go with 4x LS1 coil packs as they have internal ignitors. To get them to run with an aftermarket ECU you will need a sensor to sync the spark ie, cam or crank sensor.

Easiest option would be to use the cam sensor off the CGA3 ( this is best sorted before rebuilding the motor as you will need to weld a pin on to the idler gear to get it to trigger the sensor.)

I was going to try and use this setup with my build but at this point I'm going to try and get away with the standard dizzy running on 12psi aiming at 120-130kw.

If your seriously looking at 200kw you are going to be running some serious boost (for a micra) 20-30psi. From my understanding the issues you will find with the standard dizzy is at high boost the standard spark will reach a point where it is blow out due to the high boost. The follow on effect of having no spark are pretty simple.

Pierce, if you are serious about reaching 200kw then you will definitely need to get this part sorted and upgraded. You may have to bite the bullet and seek some professional help.

CMF_kovert.k11

» CMF Member
if ur aiming for 200kw, coils are the least of ur problems mate... as dan mentioned, aftermarket ecu + cdi setup is a must..along with some nice coil packs (nology should do the job)..but with that power, ur drive train will need some attention..the old rs5f30a box just ain't gonna cut it - u'd want lsd for that ****...u'll want a clutch with some nuts so it won't be slipping like a bitch..drive shafts will need to be upgraded...etc, etc...

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Cheers guys, so essentially it is a case of go coilpack + CDI + sensor setup in order to play with more than 150ish KW. Guess I will go this path then.

Kovert,
I've been trying to look into the drive train but it has been a struggle finding decent information. I'd love to get my hands on a RS5F31V VLSD gearbox, but would that be enough?

For right now I'm going to get a gearbox rebuild matched to my (finally arrived) JUN 3.6kg f/wheel and the strongest clutch exedy can build me. Could this be wasted money? I'd like to think that this setup can handle 150kw easily enough.

CMF_woohoomobile

» CMF Member
i agree,

Pick a car you want to compete with on the track and aim for a slightly better power to weight ratio.

Then the reduced braking distances and faster corner entry speed will be your friend.

I think if you are going to still want to chase that power, Look at SR20
drivelines / Gearbox, etc. still going to be a massive headache, but at least there are some N14-16 guys making similar power out there.

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
I have already picked a track car to aim for better power to weight ratio, with wider/longer wheelbase and aerodynamics. My beautiful 1978 Datsun 240K-GT will be gutted and I'll likely be replacing the L24e carbie with an rb25dett. It will be track only and likely cost me upwards of $50k and hundreds of man hours labor over 3-5 years, to commence once I have completed the micra build :D

I know that 200kw is a lot to ask of the cg13de but I'm sure that there are other members on this forum that can understand what its like to actually love your car and demand as much out of it as possible.

On topic however, I've decided to purchase:

Microtech Universal Crank Trigger Kit,
CGA3 Cam angle sensor (2nd hand)
CGA3 Idler gear (2nd hand)
CGA3 coil packs (2nd hand)
M&W Pro-14 CDI ignition system.

This should be everything I need and I can upgrade the CGA3 coilpacks later on if they are too restrictive/unresponsive.

Am I correct in thinking that I'm setting up 4 direct fire coil packs?

Thanks guys

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Thank you frank2, It's always easier when someone has parts to sell instead of wreckers hunting :D

I have been thinking for a couple days on the best setup to go with, been reading a stupid amount of sometimes conflicting information across the internet and have accepted the following rules:

It doesn't matter what brand ECU you have, any brand CDI will be fine for my requirements - 4 channels, sequential fire, increased voltage.

I can't really use a CDI setup with oem cga3 or 1.6ltr nissan coil packs as even if they don't blow from overheating/extra voltage, they will likely fail at high rpm/boost.

Whilst I can stumble my way through the installation, I should definitely get a professional auto electrician to look over every aspect of my cars entire wiring before turning the key :D

Changing from above post; I'm now locked in on the following setup:
Microtech Universal Crank Trigger Kit,
CGA3 Cam angle sensor (2nd hand)
CGA3 Idler gear (2nd hand)
LS1 coil packs
M&W Pro-14 CDI ignition system. (unless I find something cheaper than $900...)

As usual, most of you know more than I, so let me know if I'm fudging anything here :D

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
frank2,

ah that's good to hear, wasn't sure if there are specific style of leads required for CDI setup. New magnacores it is :D

I guess the only thing left then is to figure out where to mount/hide 4 coil packs. I'm looking through other high end builds on the forums for an idea but can't find anything useful.

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
I'm not 100% but its my understanding that the ECU will run the LS1 coils due to the internal igniters, so I don't think you need to run a CDI unit. The LS1 coil can support +500hp.

I thought you wire each ignition wire from the ECU to a coils and then the trigger&sync wires to the sensors and away you go. Probably not that easy though.

You'll need custom leads to from the coils to the spark plugs at the length you need.

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
DanVillan,

Yeah was just thinking, I'll need custom length leads and I can't order them until I've firmly established where the coil packs will be...

You may be on the money with the LS1 coils only needing ECU...
My ECU (Microtech LT8S) has 4 ignition outputs and the LS1 coils do have internal igniting so on paper it sounds right, I'll call a sparky tomorrow and make sure I'm not missing anything. Would make my day if the wiring was that straight forward.

Where would you put the coils if you were building? I'm stumped...

Back