Car not running well...

CMF_Daniel

» CMF Member
Hi, my name is Daniel and i havent posted on here for years.

My micra has been running really well ever since I bought it (second hand) more than 3 years ago and just recently it hasnt been running too well.

It runns perfectly normal from idle to about 1500rpm and prefectly normal from about 2500rpm upwards. From 1500-2500rpm it seems to lack power.

Say I am driving along a flat road in 4th gear revving around 2000prm and hit a bit of a hill, the car starts to shudder (like it would if it was revving at about 500-600rpm in first grear in a carpark). To stop the shudder I can either change down to third gear and rev it up to the higher 2000's or change to fifth gear to rev in the low 1000's.

To me this is strange, I have replace the fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, cleaned out the distributer cap and rotor arm, bled the solders in the throttle body, run optimax with injector cleaner all to no avail.

I thought it may be the HT leads. The haynes manual says that the HT leads should have resistance of 4.48-6.72K ohms per meter. I am not sure if this is just the actual lead or if you are supposed to include the solid part that goes to the spark plug. the length of the sparkplug holder is about 13cm. I have included resistances of my HT leads and calculated values from the haynes book.

# length actual calculated calculated including holder
1 50cm 3.6kohm 2.24-3.36kohm 2.82-4.23kohm
2 46cm 3.2kohm 2.06-3.10kohm 2.64-3.96kohm
3 30cm 2.4kohm 1.34-2.02kohm 1.93-2.89kohm
4 25cm 2.7kohm 1.12-1.68kohm 1.70-2.55kohm

Do you think that reaplacing the HT leads would fix my problem? replacing the distributor ar and rotor arm? the distributor car and rotor arm and the spring leaded thing in the cap all seemed in very good condition.

I have also done the computer's self diagnostics and it returned no faults.

I am stumped... what do you thnk about the HT leads? change them and hope for the best?

Daniel

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
Daniel WROTE:

Say I am driving along a flat road in 4th gear revving around 2000prm and hit a bit of a hill, the car starts to shudder (like it would if it was revving at about 500-600rpm in first grear in a carpark). To stop the shudder I can either change down to third gear and rev it up to the higher 2000's or change to fifth gear to rev in the low 1000's.<BR>
<BR>

I bumped this thread cause for the most part this is exactly what my Micra did on the way home today, coming up the mountain just a few corners from home, changed to 4th and mild incline at a cruse rpm and it just started to shudder, and perhaps loose some speed, I changed back down to 3rd and it was better, back to 4th and shudder again, into 3rd and limped the last few corners home, but as the revs dropped and gave it some more gas to turn into driveway seemed to shudder again.

Did not 'seem' like an engine issue, but then some things don't feel very specific, my clutch or gearbox has not felt good of late, so almost wondered if it was load related clutch slip/shudder?.

Back