New Micra Owner and got some problems :(

AlexSi

Buy & Sell Member
Morning all ...

Just bought a 1.3 Si yesterday and today having the time to take a proper look (which I really should have done the other day but I was in a rush) I have found three things that are worrying me ...

1) Temp gauge doesnt move ... stay rock bottom, engine heats up and drives fine ... dont know if the fan kicks in or not so im guessing temp sender or thermostat? ... if so anyone know any prices?

2) Gearbox oil leak ... coming from towards the back-ish of the gearbox

3) pipe off the top of the gearbox that leads to nothing :S

hose.jpg

any help would be really apreciated :)

Alex

1. not sure on prices myself but shouldnt be much (check all connections first though, you might get lucky)

2. Gearbox leak, possibly could just be residue from when the gearbox oil was filled? or maybe an oil seal at gear linkage area, or a leak between the joining surfaces...but hard to say tbh.

3. Thats normal its a breather, so dont worry about it :)

Hope that helps :)

got some prices on temp sensor and thermostat and both under a tenner so might just replace the two anyways ... as for the gearbox leak im just gona clean it up and wait and see where its coming from if at all ...

also the gearbox whines a little when in neutural ... whats the standard gearbox oil grade and is it worthwhile putting in something a little thicker to quiet things down a little ...

apart from that its a little beaut :)

hi alex, your best to jetwash the g/box then check where the leak is eh, and there are 2 temp sensors under the dizzy (a single wire one for the guage, and a twin wire one for the ecu/fan) :)

is it possible to do the old trick of connecting the single pin to ground to test if the gauge is at fault or the sensor?

sounds like either the thermostats stuck open or the temp guage sensors finished.

drain the coolant, take out the thermostat and check it works, it should be closed when cold and open when above 80C water. also check the guage sensors resistance too in hot/cold water referring to haynes spec.

replace whichever one's out of spec (thermostat most likely)

My gearbox is leaking too. However mine is coming from a driveshaft oil seal, pretty common and an easy fix. It's a good chance it is where your leak is coming from too, check where the driveshafts go into the box. Probably a good idea to clean the oil off as mentioned above and see exactly where the oil is coming from to be sure. Hopefully just a driveshaft seal, cost around a fiver from Nissan. Obviously the oil will have to be drained and the driveshaft removed to replace the seal. Still not a big job, I am going to do mine when I can be arsed.

Does the gearbox noise stop when you dip the clutch?
It could be that the release bearing has run dry.
If so it's gearbox out to replace (if it really bothers you) or get some lubrication in the bellhousing.
Frank posted some pics of the "access hole" he has in his gearbox for this problem,I'll see if I can find the link...
If you're going to replace be good to replace the whole clutch while you're in there....

cheers chaps ... have identified everything ... themostat for my temp problem ... driveshaft oil seal for my leak and it is the release bearing for the noise ...

so an easy fix for the first two ... as for the release bearing is it a problem being noisy or is it something I should address?

as for the release bearing is it a problem being noisy or is it something I should address?

No,not a problem.Can be dealt with when it's new clutch time or if it bothers you make the most of the situation & get a lightened flywheel fitted at the same time.
Remembered an easy bodge I've used before to quieten the bearing which does not even involve laying on the floor.
I drilled a small hole big enough for a WD40 red straw (comes stuck to the tin) in bellhousing from engine bay above where the bearing sits & spray a load in.No slipping problems after,the clutch soon dispels the excess.
It shut it up for a while I remember..
Might be an idea to check/change gear oil level now the leak is cured.
Any pics of the car??

ok now turns out it was a combination of both the thermostat and the gauge temp sender ... so I need a new sensor ... local autofactors quote just under a tenner and nissan want over 30 quid ... am i safe enough with an unofficial part or am i better off sticking with nissan bits?

Back