New hosting soon..

cisco

» CMF Member
This site will be moving to Sydney based (much faster) hosting shortly. It should become a lot faster to load the pages. Its currently on value hosting on US-based servers.

cisco

» CMF Member
That's better than what I'm getting mate. 223-301ms. Ikk!

CMF_James MSC

» CMF Member
Ouch! what connection do you have out of interest?
www.speedtest.net ;)

My work connection:
47864076.png

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
ah. well maybe i can trump your cable when i get adsl2 (hope). contract ends in december so will see.
how much do you pay for cable broadband?
and whats your readout for sydney compared to mine?

cisco

» CMF Member
My home connection is 1.5mbit ADSL1.
My suburb is connected via an optic fibre rim to the phone exchange, and they haven't yet installed hardware to let the ADSL2 go over the fibre. Sucks ass.. But probably 1-2 years away they will implement it. It used to be the same for ADSL1, but then they upgraded the RIMs and now it works great.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Isnt netlogistics in australia? This is quirky. website resolves to a netlogistics IP in australia, but still get a 270ms ping to the website! Quirky.

Ahh. ThePlanet.com. Dallas, Texas! Thats the end of the line. What a complex trace. Good to see youre cutting out the middle men :D

PS: I can get adsl2 if i get a new router!!! (Maybe for Xmas :))

cisco

» CMF Member
Lucky for you! I have an ADSL2 router, but can't use it feh.

Yeah Netlogistics are Australian, but they also offer US based hosting (its cheaper). But I'm moving to one of their Velocity plans.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Stuffed if I know. I have broadband, VOIP and it works great. Phone calls so cheap all over Aussie and the world in general.
What am I missing out on?? In the boss mans car his mobile rings and he clicks something and yacks away hands free. Small speaker/reciever clipped to his sun visor. Blue tooth or something he said.
All to much for me.
No escape from the world these days.Bloody work phone as soon as I get into the car to come home turn it off and turn it back on when I get to work.Want to enjoy my driving and music without the phone going off.Driving Whitey is my time not to be shared with anyone else.
The number of people I see driving with phones stuck to their ears is amazing.Faster,faster we have to go faster.Have to take that phone call,cannot wait.No matter that I may kill someone while talking/ driving at the same time.How about all those people heads down no idea where they are waliking while sending text messages. Look like a mob of druken cows staggering all over the place. Oh sorry mate ( if you are lucky) did not see you as I was to busy sending a text.
The next generation will disappear up their rear end no worries.
This post from a grumpy old man.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Yeah have satellite TV and have caught some of the shows.Its so true.
Thayts another issue. What has happened to good old english comedy? All we get dished up is Yank stuff.
Remember the 2 Ronnies, Morcomb and Wise, Open all Hours,Cold Porridge,Fawlty Towers,The Young Ones,Britis Empire, etc classics all of them.Does not seem to be another generation following behind.
Maybe I am a grumpy old man.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yay .. The two Ronnies! They were the best!!!

I totally agree grumpy old man. I am a grumpy young man (getting old).

Man you lucky buggers even with 6mb ADSL1. Stupid telstra here artificially limit ADSL1 connections to 1.5mbit here in AUS. Such a pain. 6mbit would be plenty good enough. But yes, would always want more and more and more. Realistically, in the long term, we all need full dual channel fibre running to our homes. Flat out upload and download speeds. The problem with most cable speeds thesedays is that you only get fast download speed. Even ADSL2 gives you 1mb upload thesedays which is getting there..

I am just waiting for telstra to:
(A) - Remove the artificial 1.5mbit limit from ADSL1 ports.
(B) - Upgrade their RIMs to handle ADSL2.

Then it will be 6mbit at the very minimum using exactly the same crap that carries my current 1.5mbit connection right now.

Oh well, can't whinge too much. I remember buying my super duper 14.4Kbit modem not so long ago - it was a major upgrade from 1200 and 2400k modems, and for $350! Man as if. What a rip off now. Now your mobile phone, watch or anything can talk faster than 14.4Kb.

Man 14.4 Modems could achieve a constant like 2k/s. Super fast. Get all the MOD files and GIF images you wanted for your Amiga 500.

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
Oh the joys of being on a modem, I had to endure that when I moved house and adsl took so long to be installed! Painfull.

I think wireless internet will be the next big thing, some places in UK have 24mbit trials working well with wireless. Once the whole country is covered the possibilitys would be endless!

Can you not get rate adaptive adsl in aus? Thats the only reason we can get "up to 8mbit" here now in the UK. Only been out a few months. Basically it works out the max possible speed your two little wires can give you and off you go.

cisco

» CMF Member
That's how our ADSL2 works. You can get up to 24mbit if you are located very close to the telephone exchange. Otherwise you get a speed somewhat lower, but still usually a fair bit faster than 1.5mbit ADSL1. All to do with the distance from the telephone exchange.

All ADSL1 can theoretically do up to 8mbit, but telstra limit it deliberately for some reason. Heh.

cisco

» CMF Member
Man, I have the new hosting setup now.. DAMN its fast!

PS - micra.com.au isn't moved over to it yet.. But damn its fast. Hosted in Sydney. Mmmmmmmmm no latency. Refreshes happen like instantly.

Back