Technical Forums refresh

cisco

» CMF Member
Hi everyone,

Apologies for the site being offline for the past few days.
In short: the web server ran out of disk space while someone was posting a message, which corrupted the database.

I've now moved the site to a new hosting provider with much more disk space and faster speed aswell.

I've deleted about 50 fake/duplicate member accounts aswell. There were a few with phony email addresses, and also duplicates from the old days from people who had forgotten their password and went on to register again haha.
These things won't happen any more. Funnily enough, we now have just under 1000 members again.

I've also decided to do an entire cleanout of the message database and to start from a clean slate. Think about it, how much stuff do all us micra fans have in our heads thesedays? We've learnt so much during the past few years.
There was an astonishingly high number of repeated/wasted/stupid/redundant messages in the database. So by starting clean, we're removing all the crap and able to compile a beautiful knowledge base of information once again. If you need to know something, post a message and someone will know or remember and post a response. Before long we'll have all the information we used to have in here, but in a much smaller and more efficient pile of messages.

I'm still waiting to get a copy of the old messages from the old hosting provider, so once I have that, I will be able to look up old information as needed for people.

I do have all the images which were uploaded into the old Technical Forums, so don't panic too much :) I'll go through them all sometime and make them available or post them into threads etc.

I'm also going to be upgrading the forums gradually..
Just some simple but important facilities that are probably much needed, such as the ability to edit posts, more standard ways for linking to images, and maybe a couple of other things.. So stay tuned.

Thanks for your patience.

cisco

» CMF Member
Oh yes sorry Caroline. I know what that will be. I'll fix it now.. Will respond in a sec..

CMF_Trev

» CMF Member
Bugger, old forums gone!!!

Cisco, If possible down the track can ya retieve entire threads upon request. I have been using my, "Trev's N/A peformance", threads as a diary of mods I have been performing. I have also found them usefull for refering people too when they have asked questions.

Cheers
Trev

cisco

» CMF Member
Trev, Yes I'll try to get all that stuff back.
But still not response from the cruddy old ISP. damn.

I do have all the old pictures that people uploaded to the forums.

cisco

» CMF Member
Doh. yeah sorry guys. So did I. Every single event about our cars over the past few years. Its a shame. But I'm hopeful they can restore it. They are bas service ISP and still haven't responded to my help submission since Saturday. I'll try to chase it up.

But again, pictures are safe.

cisco

» CMF Member
Gday mate,

I deleted one with an unrelated picture uploaded. The cat one. We only allow useful/related images, it takes up server space, and although I still find it amusing and I do have a sense of humour etc, its just a simple rule in place to ensure we don't clog up the server. The other editors (evade, No. 2, White Knight) can also delete and move threads around based on their opinions. We try to keep it clean.

Also poorly written messages containing bad/lazy grammer usually get deleted aswell.

cisco

» CMF Member
Bad bad news.

The service provider have let me down big time.

No backup. Spewing. But its now with a decent one, so from now on, this won't happen again. Crazy!

I'm working on some cool stuff for the site, so SOON all the old pics from the forums will be available etc..

Hang fire, i'll get as much decent content back up as possible. The editors are able to contribute directly more and more from now on also.. I.e. they can edit pages without me even knowing about it. Cool! More to come..

Back