New Dedicated Server Purchased - change is here!!

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
Today, we are pleased to annouce the purchase of a new dedicated server that we hope will rectify the issues we are experiencing with speed and downtime.

Please bear with us while James implements the changes, this may take a little while as the new host is currently processing our order, and then James will need to move the site over.

and just for those who think we have gone for cheap hosting (Frank!) this has come at a setup cost of £129 with monthly payments of £42 a month, giving a total spend for a 12 month period of £633. Monthly hosting charges have increased from £35.99 to £42.

So very shortly we should be back up to speed and running normally, so to those that have remained patient I offer my apologies for the inconvenience caused, even I have sometimes struggled to post on the forum during this frustrating period. I understand how annoying it has been.

We'll keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks
Kev

Also, to add to that, these are the specifications of our new dedicated server:

Intel Core i7-920 Quad-core CPU with Hyper Threading
8GB DDR3 RAM
2 x 750 GB SATA-II drives in RAID-1
100MBit internet connectivity
100GB backup space

That's a higher spec than any PC I've used ever, and I work in IT! So fingers crossed our laggy server days are well and truly behind us! :grinning:

James.

Good to hear.

And not a bad spec of the server comp. One of my gaming rigs is running an i7, but an 860 dual channel one. The website should not be slow at all with 8 threads being processed, but if you ever get bored the i7's overclock very nicely if you shove a 15 pound arctic cooler heatsink on them :grinning:

Also, to compare the hard drive transfer speeds which was our main problem on this server.

OLD SERVER:
Code:
 Timing cached reads:   1304 MB in  2.00 seconds = 652.02 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   12 MB in  3.27 seconds =   3.67 MB/sec

NEW SERVER:
Code:
 Timing cached reads:   24968 MB in  2.00 seconds = 12493.60 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  308 MB in  3.00 seconds = 102.58 MB/sec

Not too shabby! :grinning:

Very nice James - 5.97 mbps over copper. I'm going fibre optic on Saturday so should be even cooler (Y).

We're now live on the new server and I've got to say, it feels great to be here! :grinning:

So much more responsive and just runs better in general!

There's a few more things I'd like to do, like install the newest version of vBulletin etc, but they can wait till next week.

Other than that, everything should be back to normal! If you notice anything odd, let me know!

James :)

Never really noticed any change, this forum (right now 8.00am) is still the slowest place I visit on the whole internet :eek:

Never really noticed any change, this forum (right now 8.00am) is still the slowest place I visit on the whole internet :eek:

Oh my good god, well you can't please them all can you!

I'm on a standard Sky broadband connection with pushes 2-4mb if I'm lucky and the site is basically running in warp speed compared to the old server.

yea way faster. Even though mine is 24mb fibre optic lol but on my parents broadband which is like 0.5mb it is flying. Thanks for the upgrade Kev and James. :p

Yeah there is no such thing as speed now with regards to this forum, its running so fly.

As for the slow one, move closer xD CURSE YOUR OWN LATENCY ISSUES!

As for the slow one, move closer xD CURSE YOUR OWN LATENCY ISSUES!

Regardless this site is still running slow with me, granted it is a fraction faster than it was, but it is still much slower than anywhere else I visit on the internet, the reason for which I have no idea.

Yeah, i recon its something to do with where you live 1275, unless your ISP is playing with the new, put it this way,

The new MSC loads into my computer before the browser renders it, thats how fast its running :p

Regardless this site is still running slow with me, granted it is a fraction faster than it was, but it is still much slower than anywhere else I visit on the internet, the reason for which I have no idea.
Please go and run this test here:
http://46.4.87.210/speed/

And let me know what figures it returns, also what speed internet connection you are on :)

Cheers,
James.

Download: 13.40mbps
Upload: 1.13mbps

:D

If its running super fast on that connection though Kev then the other connections on this thread should be fine!

Still really really slow.

Anyone else using internet explorer? and is it running OK?

my download was a very quick 9.14mb but my upload gave up in the end, and logged a 0.0 lol
and i had another one of those painfully slow double post uploads last night

i'd say its about the same for me, but i cant complain as i'm not a paid up member yet :p

but one thing i have noticed, the control panel doesnt notify me of notifications anymore. but if i click the notifications button then the info reguarding peoples replies is listed. also it constantly says Chat (0) but if i click it there are members on chat :confused:

On my Virgin fibreoptic 10MB (Been fitted for two whole minutes now :grinning:): 10.09 down, 1.02 up.

Back