New car - opposite of a micra

cisco

» CMF Member
Had a pretty spontaneous day today and picked up this one. This is replacing the white super s. [For sale see other thread]

Its a 2000 AUii Fairmont. Packed with luxury goodness and comfort and space and room and torque. Some of the features are: traction control, leather, woodgrain, climate control, cup holders in the rear, sunglasses holder, blah blah.

I love the huge "F A I R M O N T" chrome emblem on the back.

What a tank. Its the 4 litre inline 6, still packed with torque and decent power, I wouldn't consider getting an 8. The 6 is still pretty efficient on the highway for the torque you get (357Nm), just have to watch the throttle around town.

But we really needed something large and practical.

This is the current sweetspot in 2nd hand ford luxury spec cars. Absolute bargain, with 92000Km on the clock, quite less than most of them. Its the top before you step up to a BA series and the price just jumps up 10k+ instantly. Goes past the sweet value spot if you ask me. And much less and you are dipping into cars that are getting too old, i.e. EFs and ELs for not much less cash anyway.

Its in really good condition, the interior still smells like a new car. Pretty fun, picking it up in a coupla days.
Going to clean her up a bit more and put some tyre black on those 16" tyres. Might consider one day slamming some Ford genuine MS5 17" alloys on there, but its not a high priority, happy to keep it standard and reliable.

Blue monster still never going anywhere, so just reducing to a 1-micra household. I'll upload some better photos once I've cleaned it up and get it home. Although, I'm sure its not going to be much interest on a micra-loving site :)

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
One extreme to the other Cisco.
When you climb into Bluey please put your mind on samll fast car mode and with the other well does not matter.
Better warn Bluey what is coming home as they are like chalk and cheese and nothing in common. They will never be friends.

cisco

» CMF Member
Hahaha I know, its a bold funny move.

I was just always sick of needing some rare micra part, and this happened or that happened and noone knows anything about your car and wants to fix it.

Also have a need for a trailer a fair bit lately, and have been paying so many delivery fees just for piles of dirt and the like, this will be handy to get a cheap trailer for and remove the towpack when not in use.

I decided to be a stupid average aussie for a while and drive in anywhere and every idiot knows about your car, every idiot has your parts in stock, and there are no mysteries, everything can be fixed in 1 second.

Needed a break, think I was nearing meltdown status.

Be great for cruising up to Newcastle in. Climate control 23deg thank you very much, traction control will handle the rest.

cisco

» CMF Member
I'm kind of mixed. I absolutely love the white super s and blue monster. I think its just good to have a mix and try something different rather than having two of the same.

Really looking forward to the real comfort stretch out space inside this thing, so comfortable.

That's my random head's thoughts for today anyway! :)

Not looking forward to the fuel bill however.

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
I like the big fords myself and im glad you did not get a commodore as thoses drivers always seem to be assholes. I love my micra too but I now need a bigger car to travel around as the micra is tiring to drive over long distances with its small wheelbase.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
hahah they are so easy to rip up in..single spinner glory

there was this bung AU falcon that was a company car at our NSW site..i got to burl around in that thing. god it was thrashed..only had about 60000km on it but felt like 600000km

cisco

» CMF Member
Ahh the big Fords, I love them too.

My parents have an EF GLi 4.0. So I know all about the big ford single spinners. They are one of the easiest cars to light up, so much damn torque, and without an LSD, its game over.

Really great engine and gearing for your mum to jump in and floor it and get out of the way of traffic in no time.

Very safe for the girlfriend. Actually, I forgot to mention, its Jamie-lee's car, not mine. Mine is bluey.
I will just have the luxury of being able to drive it sometimes. Safe for her, big phat ABS, big wheels/tyres, big torque, big crash safety zones. Loving it. Just have to teach her some basic safety things for driving this thing in the wet - its a whole new ball game with the potential to flip out and go into a pole sideways.

Yom, I'll have a play with the traction control myself and see how it performs so I know what to expect.

I can't wait to put a carton of beer in the boot, drive to Newcastle, and be a stupid dumb typical aussie. Australia seems so much more tailored to the needs of idiots.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
You have to admit though, it is quite relaxing playing the role of australian blokey idiot.

Plus you don't ever look out of place.

They *really* do have something special going on... :p

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
At lest you are playing a true aussie while driving a ford as most parts are still made in australia unlike the commodores. Working for coventrys im shocked to see how many parts are now made in korea and shock horror china for you so called Aussie commodore. Yes thats right a huge amount of the commodore is made in korea and china eg Lights, tail lights, most bages/stickers. door handles/inside ones too. Mirrors, Small plastic parts, arials, most small parts and the list goes on and on. Id say 35% to 45% is now made in korea. So much for the commodore being an aussie made car.

cisco

» CMF Member
I reckon Holden build quality has lagged for quite some time, perhaps they are catching up in recent times.
But they have always lead the way with strong marketing.

Holy crap, I just had a look on ebay. After owning a micra, I can't believe how cheap and common all the parts are for this car. Radiator $155, genuine starter motor $80, genuine ford double-DIN to single-DIN reducer plate $19, key interior things $20 etc. Crazy, you can get anything if anything breaks.

cisco

» CMF Member
Genuine Tickford AU Falcon cold air intake - $35!!! WHAT!!!

Blah!!!

Genuine FORD "Cold air intake". That's awesome. Far out $35.

cisco

» CMF Member
I tell you what, you pay a bit in petrol, but insurance, repairs, servicing, parts all save you BIG TIME.

The oil filters are like the most common ones for $7 instead of the $14 micra z442 ones.

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
I hope cisco does not find the falcon turbo fourms as when he finds out how much power there getting from the falcon 6's we might never see him again. 6 months from now will we have a 500kw hipo falcon on this forum :)

cisco

» CMF Member
Haha you all crack me up.

This is what happens when you have an overload and meltdown from just too much tampering and reliability plummets. You reach out clutching for the biggest, fattest, reliable thing you can get. Nah... Micras are in my heart.

I have this white car sitting out there for sale, absolutely so sad to see this car go. I bloody love it. If we don't get a decent offer, I am really tempted to just park it up the side as "my other micra". haha. Its a bloody brilliant little car.

Bluey is just a blast, and my weekend race car. Big Fairmont gets the job done comfortably, and blue mons when you need to blow the cobwebs out and feel alive. Can't beat the feeling of stepping out of Fairmont, into Blue Monster.

But gee the Fairmont is pretty comfortable and nice.

Whitey!!! Oh I don't know if I can part with you, and you were only my girlfriend's car! shesh.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
I just obliterated a Falcon ute around a round-about. He was fish-tailing and spinning out all over the place as i passed him. Lawl. PS. no mods to my car either. ;)

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah easily mate.

No denying the micras abilities. A falcon can't compete without serious suspension mods.

Handling is really plush and comfortable, doesn't sway terribly either, but yeah the shear weight just can't complete with your little micra.

Our Fairmont is a big old live rear axle - watts linkage. yeehah.

cisco

» CMF Member
And a micra with suspension mods will always obliterate a falcon with suspension mods.

Ahh micras.

cisco

» CMF Member
I'm impressed with "reach and tilt" adjustable steering.

Every car should have this.

cisco

» CMF Member
Gee the Fairmont is so smooth and has no issues.

You can just rock up anywhere and buy anything for it.

Factory well thought out everything. Loving it.

Helps being 5 years newer too.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
A great believer in the wife driving the tank. Although our tank is hardly a Falcon, although it's probably got more storage room being a wagon.
What's the usual replacement interval on the front pads & rotors? Good thing the parts are cheap? & everyone can fix em!
As for australian made, I'm sure there are plenty of motors heading to Korea which more than make up for some bits of plastic being shipped in the other direction. Where would the raw materials for the plastic be coming from anyway?

Attachments

• 13691.jpg
    13691.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 42
Back