neon wiring (k11)

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Hello all! I've got some Micro LEDs that are currently being fitted to my Micra.I got given the layout of the wiring:

neonwiring.jpg

This is what i've done so far....

- Live wire running from the battery (+) to the fuse....then a live wire running from the fuse to the switch

- from the switch i've got a negative wire back to the battery (-), an earth wire from the switch to a metal bolt

-from the switch i've got a live wire running to the terminal block

-from the terminal block i've got the neons connected

The light on the switch now comes on because its earthed.Theres one more 'pin'/connector left on the switch but i dunno what thats for.The neons still dont work :(

Can anyone shed some light onto this problem?

swap the wires arround....

they are usualy polarity sensative.... or you may just have naff tubes..

i used to have a 24" red neon wired to my brake lights....... worked fine...

- from the switch i've got a negative wire back to the battery (-), an earth wire from the switch to a metal bolt
It sounds like the switch isn't switching the neons on because its shorting!

There shouldn't be any negitive wires on the switch if you are breaking the "live" connection through the switch...

It should be +battery --> switch --> Wire coming out still live going to the terminal --> neons --> -negitive of battery.

because if you have a negitive at the switch the current will flow straight through the switch and back to the battery!

hope this helps....i might have mis-read something though...lol

:k10:

on cars there is no earth. it is called ground and its connected to the negative terminal on the battery.

all you do is run a power cable from the live on the battery and connect that to the live connection on the product thats going to be installed. and then you connect the neutral to any metal park of the car (the bolts that hold the dash and such are good if they dont go into plastic holders)

hope this helps people out

jackassuk

if people are confused that easy they should leave it to the professionals, lol.
but yeah i know what you mean, but i was just saying so people dont get too confused when someone talks about earth instead of ground

lol jackass, you correct his terminology and then use the term neutral when referring to a DC electrical circuit, DC doesn't have a neutral, just a postive and negative, AC uses Phase and Neutral (and earth (unless it's an appliance which is class 2 or 3(generally fed from an SELV)))

oh im sorry, its not my fault. have only just started my apprenticeship!

And i wasnt correcting ollyc98, i was mearly stating that there is no earth on a car. so that people would not short stuff out!

I'm not even an electrician, the only qualifications I have are 4 years working on automotive electrical systems for friends and family.

SELV = Seperated Extra Low Voltage. Which means 50V or less :) which in this case is applicable.

But do not confuse car electrics with household or industrial electrics cause its all different. :)

Back