Head Unit wiring problem - K11

P

Panjabi

Took out the cassette player and fitted the Alpine in. Was driving at night and had to switch on the head lights... so for some reason all the instrument panel lights stopped working. Lifted the bonnet and the 10A Tail Lamp fuse was blown... replaced it.

Disconnected the unit and decided to re-wire it... but it was confusing! We didn't touch the the illumination wires and couldn't find an Earth. So we connected an Earth to one running in the lower left footwell (scotch lock). Got a 12v constant of the cigerette lighter. So why does the f**king unit work when the key is not in the ignition?

Have I got the wiring right? Left with two wires that I don't want to touch. Can anyone suggest how it should have been wired? Which colour wire does what so I can be double sure? It had to be wired (individually) as the 4 speaker auto lead did not fit! Any help appreciated.

Buy an iso connector from halfrauds and that will sort your problem. The only thing that you have to do is give the head unit a ground.
as to the tail lamp, what have you wires into your sidelughts?

Thats where I brought the ISO from - and it did not fit the old cassette players connectors. It was a four speaker ISO as well! It has been given a ground. I don't know what you're asking about the side lights but we found that the 10A fuse for the tail lamp is also a fuse for all internal lights i.e. the dash and center instrument panel (except the center light in the roof). The break lights / indicators / headlights seemed to work fine when the fuse was blown so... I'm guessing it must mean tail lamp as in centre break light which I don't have.

The side lights run off that fuse to. I blew mine a few weeks ago, and all of the lights in the car apart from the main headlights and the brake lights go with it to. The reason it blew was cause i wireds something into my sidelights. (Used wrong cable!)

Anyway, what do you mean for your old cassete player? Isn't it your apline one that your wanting to put in? Are you meaning the cars original wiring? If so did you get it for a Micra K11??
If you've got the right block the only other thing that you have to do is run another wire for the ground and it should work fine.
Don't wire it into your cig lighter as that runs from the battery and is always on hence why your headunit is always on.
:kungfu:

Sorry I meant when the cassette player was disconnected I was left with two white connector blocks. The small one I figured runs to rear speakers. So I purchased a PC2-76-4 Harness adaptor. The wires coming out of the Alpine connected fit fine to the adaptor but the white block left did not connect to it (size difference). The unit is already fitted and running (and grounded). We thought that even if the 12v ciggerette lighter supply is used then as long as the face plate is not on the unit it is off?! As the pins on the back of the Alpine face complete the circuit... therefore even if power is going to the unit... a circuit cannot be made without the face so power is not being wasted?! Am I right? My point of putting the thread up here Titch was to find out how it should have been wired. So... where should I have taken the 12v from? Which wire does what (from the cars connections) so I can double check. Should I have brought some other block? That would mean the experts got it wrong as I asked four places and they all suggested the PC2-76-4. From what you're saying T, I should only avoid the sidelight wire? Which one is that? The ground has been sorted but I wish I could wire it properly so it won't operate without the key in the ignition!

just one thing the illumination "needs" a grounding i was messing around n flicked on the lights n exactly same thing happened to me the instrument lights went the rear driving lights too it was the fuse in the engine that blew but then put back a ground on the illumination n its fixed that

Back