Wiring diagram: Air horn

B

Ben

Well air horn arrived today but wiring diagram is a bit weird. Apart from the fact that there were no wires or a button....its just i bit weird, got a few questions:
1. In the wiring diagram, it shows the wire coming from the relay going to a switch then to the horn then to earth. Would i be able to replace the horn with a simple button to press instead of the horn or even just miss that step entirely and use the switch to turn it on and off???
2. If i were to add a button in place of the hron wouldnt it use up my battery all the time? As it wont be coming on with ignition etc..

Can't see the diagram but by the description, yes, you can replace the horn with a button or a switch. The switch would only drain the battery when it was on, ie the horn sounding.

ok this may just be me beign a uber nobber but......

if you miss out the horn (and i am getting this right in thinking this is the main part of the thing) erm there ill be nothing to sound!!!!

alll you need to do is:

position them...

then earth the horn generator. postive from generator to button to power..

so that the power runs from the battery to/through the button. (this is so the button cuts and connects the circuit) then to the generator.

this should work..

yus, thats what i thinking but also have that relay too, think i will give it a blast tomorrow - need to find a button though, i dunno if i need a button that just connects then immediatly disconnects or an on/off switch though if u know what i mean

No - do it as it's shown.

A relay is basically a switch that takes a smaller power supply circuit, to turn on a bigger power circuit/load.

Therefore, when your ignition is switched on, when the switch is flicked, the relay will be activated.

By activating the relay, the connection between the horn siren/generator is made, and you have yourself one electric circuit = horns making a noise.

As soon as you switch off the switch, it will stop.

You can have a push to make switch, and just hold it down for however long it takes the horn to produce its tune.

The use of the relay basically means that it'l only work with the ignition on, which is ideally what you want.

Pete, number 5 on the diagram, what do i do with the third wire coming off of there?? Ignition? where can i get one of those number 5's it didnt come with the kit

When i got my air horns i couldn't understand the diagram for shizzle, but i just unplugged my original horn then plugged that wire into the compressor, then i just made up an earth/negative lead and ran from the corresponding terminal on compressor to the battery. simple as that. Basically ignored the diaphragm. simple. as that. simple.

Number 5 - It's a double pole double throw switch which you dont need.

Just means middle is off, and either direction is on, you only need it to be on one way :).

If you use a switch like that, it just means you can turn two different things on with one switch!

ah right cheers pete, have provisionally put it up for sale but would it be possible for you to make me a simplified wiring diagram please bud? I dont want it connected to the horn, i would rather have it on a seperate circuit so horn still works - any help appreciated Pete

Back