Wiring for power inverter

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
So I got a power inverter today, and I've been thinking of different ways to wire it in, and what peoples opinions are:

1. Straight to battery. My worry with this is it'll drain battery whilst the cars not on, and I'll end up with a flat battery.

2. Through a relay connected to the IGN setting on the ignition switch. This would solve the problem with the flat battery when the cars not on, but I can see wiring a relay up to the gauge of wire needed for an inverter a problem.

3. Through a light switch. Obviously light switches are designed to take mains voltage and ampage, so as long as I remember to turn it off, it won't drain battery.

4. Make a modular system. So a set of wires going from the battery to a standard UK wall plug socket with an on off swtich on the firewall or in the glovebox/dashboard, and then a plug attached to wiring on the inverter.

Which one of these do you think is best. I think the relay system is most foolproof in terms of not using battery, but I think it'll be the hardest to wire in.

Also, what gauge of wire would you guys suggest. For instance, if I was to go with the lightswitch or wall plug option, would normal house wiring be sufficient.

And lastly, if I was to use an inline fuse out of the battery, what size would you suggest. The inverter says continuous 800w or peak 1200w. So I figured 1200/12 would mean a 100amp fuse. A bit big eh?

OR, as I'm using it for a slimline PS2, would you suggest ditching the inverter idea all along, and just using a cigarette adapter for the PS2?

With a potential draw of 100amps then you want to wire it straight into the battery. I wired my 800w unit in like this. You'd need a hefty relay for that kind of setup. They have a switch on them so you wouldn't kill your battery when its turned off. They all should have low voltage cutoff anyway, so if your battery reached 10.5v the invertor will switch off in order for you to still be able to start the car.

Don't do the light switch, way too lower power rating! (in terms of current).

You are talking about lower voltage but high current, so you'll really want 4 gauge wiring direct from the battery, which is thick! Use a 100amp fuse if you want, but it depends what you are running. You can use audio amp power cable and fusing for this as they use these kind of ratings (my fuse for my system is 200A!).

If its only a slimline PS2 you are running I wouldn't use an invertor that size at all, and it may cause problems with its power supply anyway. Get a ciggy adapter if they are available...

Hmm. Cheers for that.

I will probably go along the cig light route. After buying the wiring and fuses etc, it'll cost the same.

I now have an 800w inverter not doing a lot now.

obviously this is all up to you how you want to wire it and stuff, but you can run the ps2 with everything you have no problem atal. hope you figure it out man.

Back