Drive shaft questions

CMF_micrafun2

» CMF Member
I have now replaced my first CV joint onto a drive shaft.
Woot! Woot!
This is quite advanced work for me!!
I am about to put back the passenger side drive shaft.
I cannot clearly see into the gear box.
Is there normally an oil seal there?
If so, I am not thinking of replacing it.
What do people think?
Is it recommended to replace it to avoid losing gearbox oil?

Asdame, if you are looking at this post, pls give me an indication on torque setting for the drive shaft main nut -which is the first one you remove to get the whole thing started off.

Also the supplied nut feels quite stiff to fit on to the drive shaft. Is this normal? Is it like the crank shaft pulley bolt - is it what some people call a pinch bolt?

Danny

CMF_chargeR

» CMF Member
I recently changed both axles on my K11 and I didn't replace the oil seals on the gearbox, although I believe the factory manual I have recommends you do so. I have not lost any gearbox oil at all since which is nice because Red Line MT90 is expensive. Just take some care when inserting the axle so you don't damage the oil seals.

I can't remember the torque for the hub nut off the top of my head but I believe it is around 210-240Nm. I can check when I get home later this evening. My hub nuts were a normal fit on the thread, fairly easy to turn. Are you sure the thread or nut isn't damaged?

CMF_micrafun2

» CMF Member
Thanks chargeR

I bought a new outer cv joint from europarts. The new supplied nut does not go onto the shaft without using force. And similarly, the old nut does not go on to the shaft easily. Just wondering what a garage would do. Some ideas would be helpful.

Both the nuts fit easily on the old CV joint shaft!

Danny

Back