Strut play?

CMF_kré

» CMF Member
Hi guys, just bought my first K11 last week. It seems to have a bit of an issue somewhere in the front end. When I slow to a gradual stop, it seems to wobble its way down in speed. It felt like it might have been a warped brake rotor or something similar, but that didn't turn out to be the case.

The one thing I noticed that seemed odd was when I grabbed the tyre, I could move it back and forth (as in toward and away from me) quite easily, and there was a bit of a clunk when it moved. I thought it may have been the wheel bearings but after looking more closely it seems that there is maybe 10mm of play at the top of the strut. Is this normal and/or could this be causing the wobbling feeling when I am braking? If it is normal and it wouldn't cause this feeling, does anybody have any other suggestions as to what could cause this?

It wouldn't surprise me terribly if it turned out to me more related to the horribly **** tyres on the front. The people I bought the car off had just replaced the fronts with some 'Hercules' brand tyres in bigger than original spec profile, and I haven't checked yet, but they look like they have too much air in them. Should I swap these to the back and put the rears on the front, which have older, but better branded and correct sized tyres (as well as checking/correcting the air pressure of course)?

Thanks!

CMF_kré

» CMF Member
Nope, NSW, don't have RWCs here, and the last time it was inspected was for rego last September. It had the CV joints replaced then, but I guess this play may not have been present back then.

Back