N/A vs Turbo

Anto Modded

Ex. Club Member
Ive a 1.3 and want a quick track car. Is a n/a car best modded or a turbo. If i go turbo will it stick the punishment. And whats bes performance wice and reliability wise too

I'd imagine a well setup turbo would be far more reliable the the equivalent NA, plus much more drivable.
But a turbo will never sound as good though lol.

Ban the boost! N/A is best!

In all honesty I think a lot of turbo conversions are a waste of time, not like engines that are turbo'd standard.

It'll be more temperamental, which isnt ideal in a track car, having 100000000powahs will give you horrendous understeer also.

Power isnt important in a track car, brakes, suspension, handling and weight are.
Basic breathing mods: Janspeed Manifold, stainless cat back, intake and cams
Suspension: Whiteline handling kit, coilovers, front and rear strut braces
Brakes: N14 GTi/GTiR/N15 GTi front brakes
Strip the interior out too.

That was pretty much what RaceworX did on his blue one and it could out-handle standard evos and subarus in the twisties.

Ban the boost! N/A is best!

In all honesty I think a lot of turbo conversions are a waste of time, not like engines that are turbo'd standard.

It'll be more temperamental, which isnt ideal in a track car, having 100000000powahs will give you horrendous understeer also.

Power isnt important in a track car, brakes, suspension, handling and weight are.
Basic breathing mods: Janspeed Manifold, stainless cat back, intake and cams
Suspension: Whiteline handling kit, coilovers, front and rear strut braces
Brakes: N14 GTi/GTiR/N15 GTi front brakes
Strip the interior out too.

That was pretty much what RaceworX did on his blue one and it could out-handle standard evos and subarus in the twisties.

I get you but whats gonna happen on the straights? the evos etc will take you out unless its a small circuit with a lot of twisties. N/A with throttlebodies may have enough power to keep up and perhaps with good power to weight in out pace.

Turbo and the hadnlign mods above will make a killer track micra as long as you got some decent driving skills to control the understeer.

But a turbo will never sound as good though lol.

lol! I'll take you out in my glanza then!

I'll never go back to N/A

If your looking at creating a track Micra, then I would suggest the following:

1. Uprated Suspension, Full Whiteline Kit, Coilovers
2. semi slick race tyres.
3. lightweight alloys or even steels
4. stripped out interior, leaving a bucket seat and harness.
5. re-locate battery to boot to help with the cars balance.
6. Open up the front bumper and grille to get as much cold air in as possible.
7. Uprated brakes such as already mentioned.

Then look at going the N/A route or turbo, my opinion is you could have more potential problems with a custom turbo route, but at the same time more potential for fine tuning for a track.

Kev

Surely the weight and poor setup / weight distribution would give understeer, not the power. You can take a bend at 70 in either N/A or Turbo and the car could understeer.

Which ever route you take, if you want the car to be good on a track you'll have to give the handling a good upgrade. Wheels, tyres, anti-roll bars, shocks, springs, pan-hard rod, castor, camber etc for the best setup.......brakes are also a must for good reliable braking, especially on short circuits such as Brands Hatch.

With regard to power, if the handling upgrades didn't lighten your pocket enough, NA is a good way to go. A turbo requires more attention to detail to be made reliable for a good thrashing.

Lol at Kev......

If you are going to compete forget a turbo - it will put you in the 2lt mod prod class, against some pretty serious ars.
If you want it for fun, then it is 6 and half a dozen, turbo can give more power but is likely to be broken down for longer.

Also, Micra out-handling an Evo????

well. my car has, shocks, springs, tyres, wheels, little interior, open grille, open bumper, full exhaust, rear strut brace, induction kit, cams, pulsar brakes. (and soon) Turbo, Ecu, injectors, intercooler, oil cooler, anti-roll bars, strut brace at front, even less interior.

my car has gone arround donnington park and went through old hairpin and the last chicane faster than 99% of the cars out there....... dont know weather that was the car or me though....... in the old hairpin i actualy passed a pulsar that didnt get back past me again until halfway down the start finish straight. and i caught a pug 206GTI at the chicane on the brakes and through the corners and even stuck with him to the first corner where his power took over.

but with my setup on brakes, the turbo kit on the way. some coilovers and anti-roll bars...... my car could easily go arround a small track like cadwell park faster than lets say.... a clio 172cup.

Surely the weight and poor setup / weight distribution would give understeer, not the power. You can take a bend at 70 in either N/A or Turbo and the car could understeer.

In a low powered car like a micra you can put your foot down mid-corner and not worry too much about jumping straight off the tarmac, the more power you run, the more you have to spend on your chassis to get the same or better performance.

Turbocharged cars (in particular heavily modified ones) are EXTREMELY high maintenance, speaking from experience, blown turbos, seals, pipework, oil changes, petrol, tax, insurance, gaskets, gearboxes, the list goes on.

At the end of the day, skill and practice outweighs power, and it takes more skill to control more power.

Also, Micra out-handling an Evo????

Yes, factual. Not on public roads of course.

Also, Ian is one hell of a driver.

I get you but whats gonna happen on the straights? the evos etc will take you out unless its a small circuit with a lot of twisties. N/A with throttlebodies may have enough power to keep up and perhaps with good power to weight in out pace.

It was simply a benchmark, if you're building a micra specifically to out-do evos and scoobs then you have the wrong base car anyway. If a 2wd granny machine can keep up with 4wd rally derivative cars then surely you must be doing something right.

It depends how seriously you tune N/A wise, i still maintain that you can achieve a lot more power with the turbo reliably than with N/A. (However if that puts you in another class of cars thats another matter)

Corbs even standard putting your foot down especially in the wet easily leads to understeer so i see your point there lol.

Kev, is that an offer with santa pod looming..?

well sofar i have 15'' light weights, coilovers, sparco recliners, short shifter, janspeed manifold and 2nd decat, ashley cat back system,k aport discs and harness.s. Needss to be stripped out nrxt, but will cams what could i go against so to sprak pn the track

Also, Ian is one hell of a driver.

:s lol, i dont know he #### me up in his black almera!

i agree with you corbs N/A! after going out in ians blue micra its just changed my opions completly! was an amzing car, handled the dogs! even in his green one he out handled shed loads of cars! they got away on the straights but we soon caught up with them on the bends!

it depends on what track your on with the speed and all, if theres more bends than straights your gonna wipe the floor with big turbo cars!

Well here is the track,.....alot of bends
219_small_1203685156.jpg

And here is a video of a march st i made going around the track. The owner is a member on this site. The video gives you an idea of what its like.......*****CLICK HERE*****

Well if you know the track, why not take your car out as it is now more often, to hone your skills with a mild tune?

Thing is its all honda civics over here, so id like to get the micra running as best i can and be able to try keep up with something on the track

If you have no skills or experience then power is only going to make it worse.

Forget mods spend your money on track time! You'll go through enough tyres and brake pads anyway!

Back