Rattling noise?

Over the last couple of weeks i've noticed a strange rattling/vibration noise coming from the front end, but the other day when I was taking new photos of it I realised how noisy it really was. I've used the search and usually people say it's the heat shield, but i'm not too sure. It seems to happen most at idle and slow driving speeds (upto about 20mph) but I noticed that when I turn the headlights on it gets a lot worse :confused: When I give it a rev, it stops but then comes back before it goes back to idle rpm. Does anyone know what this could be?

Have you checked the heat shields? Had a similar problem on my Jeep after the clutch was changed and it was a loose shield. Check them first.. easiest way would be to put on a glove and press on each shield while it is idling..

baguete

Site Supporter
Maybe its the bushes on the lower center crossmember (that holds the front and rear engine mounts) that are worn? Some members had that problem, me, pollyp, frank, etc...

OP
OP
SK193
Thanks, i'll try these and see if anything happens. I was told today that it could be the alternator belt slipping, which would be why it gets a lot worse when the headlights are turned on. What would I need to do if it is this at fault?

pollyp

Club Member
loosen the alternator top & bottom 14mm mount bolts, tighten the 12mm alternator belt tensioner bolt till the belts tight enough, lock in place