My rabbit again....

B

Ben

Ok so just a little thread and i wanna know your opinions. I dont know if you can remember or not but i posted a couple of weeks ago bout a cat being in my rabbits hutch...well i was playing with it this morning and noticed it was walking funny. Had a closer inspection and its back left leg was totally swelled up and non responsive so i had a bit of a feel and noticed something pretruding from under the skin, bone possibly glass.

Took him to the vets and the vet shaved his leg and says he would need an x ray and possibly an amputation. so i forked out the hundred sheets for an x ray and anasthetic even though its my nephews rabbit. So i left him with the vet for his x ray and he rang me...now this is the weird bit...

he says Lucky who is a girl by the way i didnt know has fractured her leg, you have 3 options:

1. Mend the fracture and see if time heals it
2. Amputate it although rabbits depend on their hind legs immensely
3. Euthanasia

Now i said option 1.....

He then rang me about 5 minutes ago and said that the joint was rotten and could not be saved i was now down to the last 2 choices and noone was around so i couldnt get anyones opinion. I decided to get it amputated and see if she can manage on one leg then if not get her put to sleep, thing is im thinking now maybe i made the wrong choice, might have been a bit selfish (even though its costin £200!) but i wanted to give her a chance at least ..what you think?

imo its only a rabbit so no you wasnt selfish

im sure if you could ask it,the rabbit would say chop it off and let me live

yes id say life is more important than a limp. you forked out so much money just for a little animal......god bless you and the rabbit!

I think you've prob done the right thing. Obviously with it being your nephews pet you will need to do everythin u can otherwise you'll get asked if were bothered to try and save it in the first place.

Rabbit's do depend on their hind legs, but she lives in a cage, so will cope without it!!!

aye, she actually lives in a hutch but normally i just let her out first thing in the morning and put her back in at night time but i think this may be part of the problem like coz obviously that is how the cat got to her in the first place, went and bought an indoor cage before to keep her in my room when she comes home tomorrow for a little bit then am gonna build her a run so she can still stretch her 3 legs now and again...like i say its only a trial, if its not working out i will get her put to sleep. Vet rang me earlier to say she had come round from her anasthetic like so wil be seeing her tomorrow

Animals usally adapt to things like that after a short while, i seen a dog once walk around easily with only 1 back leg.

BBen you should definately be applauded for valuing the life of the rabbit, personally im not into keeping pets but caring for any type of life reflects true human compassion.

just had a call from the vet, she is fine and i am going to pick her up later on this morning

Yay! You done the right thing, a lot of people would have had the bunny put to sleep and not bothered getting it sorted, so I'm very pleased you had the bunny treated. I'm a bit of a bunny fan, so you might have guessed that I'd be biased in that direction though. :blush:

I see you have already registered where I was going to suggest, so I won't bother suggesting you go there. lol.

PS, if you have an indoor cage for the bunny, you might want to take the door that the bunny hops in and out of away or cover it in wood when you let the bunny out for a run around. I'd have thought that it might be a bit easier for a bunny with only three legs, to get caught up when hopping in and out.

yeah cheers for the advice, got her back before, looks horrible like but she is still here which is the main thing. she isnt moving around too much but im just gonna let her chill out for the day

Glad bunny is doing well. If you can't get her to drink, but she is eating cabbage etc, you can always get her to have a bit of water by running the cabbage under the tap before she eats it.

cabge is poisonous to rabbits isnt it? shes eating lettuce like so thats a positive, a syringed some water into her mouth before n she took it all so thats ok, shes had about 40ml today i reckon

my cat has 3 legs lol, he copes fine, just he gans mad (in a happy way) wen you scrach his neck cos without that back leg, he cant scratch his right side lol, funny watchin it scale a fence aswell hahahaha!

hahaha, im quietly confident she will pull through, she better the money its cost - the vet decided to slap another 50 sheets on me bill for medicatio n she doesnt even eat the food he gave her and its out of date!

its mad how small this world is, first of all rallybunny spots my thread on this rabbit forum and now the nurse who discarged my rabbit this morning spotted it lol, might have to rephrase some of my comments about the pricing lol

my rabbit is retarded bless its little stupid self. but then, so are my guinea pigs (one is claustrophobic and screams constantly if shes locked in her cage) i think i just attract moronic pets. :(

best idea keeping her though, she'll learn to cope with three legs, *most* rabbits are suprisingly intelligent

Big_ben said:
cabge is poisonous to rabbits isnt it? shes eating lettuce like so thats a positive, a syringed some water into her mouth before n she took it all so thats ok, shes had about 40ml today i reckon

There is a list somewhere on that website about what is safe for bunnies to eat. Cabbage is fine, but start off with small quantities. Hay is the most important thing they can eat.

Clicky

Clicky

Back