ebay again

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
hi all,

i thought i would share my ebay woes at the moment.

before christmas i ordered a games console from america.

ten days after paying for it i get a message saying its been sent, christmas is getting near but there is still time

then the package arrives! but the postman wont let me have it because it is short on postage. but i dont have any money so back to the post office it goes.

i send an email to the seller saying if i can get money from him to pay for it. but no reply. a couple of days later i try again desperate to get it for christmas before it gets sent back to the US.

christmas goes with no reply from the seller, so i email him one more time telling him i am gonna open a paypal dispute.

i open up a dispute and within a few hours i get a reply from the guy in the paypal center saying that it got delevered and he has proof.

i double check his proof an sure enough the website shows that it was attempted to be delivered and then finally successfully delivered today. even though i still have the collection note from the post office.

so now it looks bad for me because everything except for me says that this was delivered, but now the package is on its way back to this guy, so he will have the package and my cash...

what can i do?? anyone had anything like this??? i need to get some proof to prove that it is still at the post office, but i dont know what would prove it...

How much was it you had to pay? Sounds to me like you took your chances and lost.

Its very common that stuff imported from USA into the EU will be subject to additional charges, these are the buyers responsibility and almost always happen on arrival of the item in question.

How much was it you had to pay? Sounds to me like you took your chances and lost.

Its very common that stuff imported from USA into the EU will be subject to additional charges, these are the buyers responsibility and almost always happen on arrival of the item in question.

it was 244SEK which is about £20, this is the only item i have had any charges on, and i have had maybe 40 items from all around the world including the US and Japan etc,

in England when i had a cutsoms charge i would get the package and then a letter later, but this time i have got it when getting the package which seems to me like its short on postage or something.

but the problem is the tracking website saying it has been delivered when it hasn't

i am going to the post office tomorrow and ask them why i am being charged

When buying things from Ebay from out of the UK 2 things you have to watch out for

1. is Custom TAX is roughly 15% (or 17.5% when it goes back up)
2. delivery service charges (parcel force charge £12 ish for handling feed of paying your customs charges)

So if you paying for something thats £1000 your really paying £1167 (1000+150+12)

If your item was £30 your paying £46.50p (£30+4.50+12)

Never had a service charge from fedex but then I've an account with them. so not sure if that is wavered because of this?

The above numbers are just examples and are no way 100% accurate but is just to give a rough guide.

Always calculate the tax roughly and see if its still a bargain if it it and you don't get charged Custom+Service you've bagged yourself a winner.

The issue now is I'm sure the seller will send it back out to you, if you pay him for it to be redelivered and chance custom+service charges again.

Hope that helps

it was 244SEK which is about £20, this is the only item i have had any charges on, and i have had maybe 40 items from all around the world including the US and Japan etc,

in England when i had a cutsoms charge i would get the package and then a letter later, but this time i have got it when getting the package which seems to me like its short on postage or something.

but the problem is the tracking website saying it has been delivered when it hasn't

i am going to the post office tomorrow and ask them why i am being charged

Sounds like you've been stung for handling fees for custom charges :( you should beable to still pick up your package, you normally get 14 days before it gets shipped back to sender I think?

Remember, he's in Sweden, so anything that apply's here, might not be the case there. Especially the 14 days to pick it up.

well i went back today and the package has been sent back. i still havent found anyone who can tell me what the charge is for, aparently there is a limit and items below a certain value are not charged for, my package was maybe £30 with £20 postage so i would have thought it would be below that mark...

very frustrating because the package is now on its way back, the guy has my money and the package. looks like i am down £50

I bought something which was only £30 or so mate but it still got £20 custom charges on it. Was it delivered to sweden or England?

I bought something which was only £30 or so mate but it still got £20 custom charges on it. Was it delivered to sweden or England?

harsh, it was sweden... problem is the post office has sent it back now, so i wonder who pays for it now?

I'd say its fair to say sadly this was your mistake, and IMO any fees from re-sending and again custom fees you'll have to pay up.

I'd say its fair to say sadly this was your mistake, and IMO any fees from re-sending and again custom fees you'll have to pay up.

well the problem is if i had known it was customs fees i would have paid, but they said it was short on pay... but yea looks like i loose out on this one either way.

you should have went and paid it at the post office unless you mean you had no money at all...least bother that way

i actually had no money at all, it takes the P, the postman turns up asking for cash, and i have nothing and neither does the GF, it was 2 days before payday so we had nothing.... but i wasn't going to pay anyway cos the guy couldn't tell me what it was for

Back