My Computers a write off thanks to Microsoft

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
I've just updated to Service pack 2, and woo, wow my computer wont turn on! great!! it gets to the boot sreen, flashes and restarts, over and over, anyone had this problem?

Darren.

omfg... no way Daz... 2 days ago... i've just lost 5 years worth of stuff....

uni/coll work, music, films, and most importantly my photos...

and yes i had updated 2 days prior through aol...

im no pc expert so i just did a restore....

not a happy bunny but its not the end of the world... im currently working my ass off catching up on uni work...

but my photos gone really hurts man...

install Mandrake to it on dual boot, boot into Mandrake and pull the Windows data off you need to keep, then you can format and re-install

Try and boot in safe mode, then uninstall the service pack. Believe it or not, the uninstall does work!

I still dont put SP2 on alot of machines unless they came shipped with it originally.

I don't have any issues at all with SP2

But whenever I install from fresh I always do.

Windows, Windows Updates, Service Packs etc, Anti-Virus, Firewall, Hardware drivers, Software for the Hardware (joystick and controller stuff etc), then the software

and i NEVER save data on the same drive as Windows :p

Try and boot in safe mode, then uninstall the service pack. Believe it or not, the uninstall does work!

I still dont put SP2 on alot of machines unless they came shipped with it originally.

Sorted, works fine again, but obviusly on SP1, i'll have to find the problem and try again some time :)

Thanks, everyone.

Just get all the updates for SP1. It will still be as 'secure' as SP2, but more reliable!!

Most SP2 updates are for fixes for SP2, and issues SP2 didnt touch. Same updates as you'd get for SP1.

it must be the season for people to lose everything from computers. i lost all the stuff on mine i think on sunday night - uni work, loads of music, pics, videos. its rubbish :(

fingers crossed computer bods can work their magic on it!

What happened to yours ma12.5? Hard disks can still have the data recovered after they've failed.

even after physical destruction of a disk, the magnetic fields around the disk remains allowing data to be re-traced.

For anybody who has a mild interest, do some reading regarding computer forensics. VERY interesting

Your guilty activities arent safe in otherwords lol!!

I had a nackered drive get repaired. 100GB drive ended up costing £400 + but definitly worth it. Some company in Cardiff did it! Very impressed.

What happened to yours ma12.5? Hard disks can still have the data recovered after they've failed.

well... i was advised to do a partial system restore which deleted somethnig it shouldnt have and so wouldnt even start up after that. so it went away for repairs etc, got it back today and they have replaced the hard drive without even a phone call to let me know all my stuff from it would be gone and they had already had it for 3 days before i called them to see where it was!!

not happy :(

well... i was advised to do a partial system restore which deleted somethnig it shouldnt have and so wouldnt even start up after that. so it went away for repairs etc, got it back today and they have replaced the hard drive without even a phone call to let me know all my stuff from it would be gone and they had already had it for 3 days before i called them to see where it was!!

not happy :(

Thats redicolous. All restores I perform I backup all the data first,and restore it once I have done a fresh install.

ahhh man you have been DONE there, like m1ck97 said, backup the stuff you need inc drivers then fresh install !

is it pc world ? Also you can get the data back if they didnt replace the hard drive, file scavenger is the program i sometimes use.

ahhh man you have been DONE there, like m1ck97 said, backup the stuff you need inc drivers then fresh install !

is it pc world ? Also you can get the data back if they didnt replace the hard drive, file scavenger is the program i sometimes use.

Thanks for that.... i actually realised that for myself...

Yeah its pc world, if u read what i put they did replace the hard drive. Iv tried a program that james gave me which im guessing is abit like the scavenger thing but hasnt really picked much up.

I called them about it and had a rant at the lovely guy at the end lol, apparently its company policy to send the old hard rive back to the customer so they can try and recover any data from it.... at a cost of about a hundred quid i think :(

Back