Possible accident write off

Last Friday whilst about to join a fast stretch of A road I stopped to give way (just before the give way line) to a car traveling at ~70mph. Unfortunately the chap behind me floored it into the back of me. The chap had been tailgating me down a country lane for 1/4 mile and didn't seem to realise that I was stopping.

Annoyingly the damage to the rear of my car is several times the market value. So it's going to be an insurance write off. I'm thinking that I'll get another car - I've been looking for a current gen Audi A3 for a while now albeit they seem v. expensive compared to the K10. However I've also been wondering whether I should sell off parts of it if I don't scrap it. Is it worth anything? The engine is just past 102k and has only just started to use coolant and oil in the last 2k miles (I added K seal and that appears to have stopped it over the last 1k miles). I've always done oil changes every 6 months along with all the other recommend fluid and filter changes. Body is in not too bad a condition - has been clayed and machine polished once and washed and waxed fortnightly. So I'm just trying to sound out what I should do with it if I have the option of breaking it. Battery is only 6 months old too. All seems such a waste to scrap it.

Cheers,

Dan

Ah well think of the whiplash money you'll get! I'm guessing the car would have crumpled like a tin can! Unless it's got lots of valuable bits on it I'd imagine it's not worth messing about with! Maybe worth a breaking thread though! What engine and transmission does it have 4 or 5 speed?

I think the chassis is fine. It drives fine and underneath I can't see any problem. Bumper is bent and the bodywork from underneath the o/s rear light cluster to around to the start of the o/s rear wheel arch. The body work has been pushed in ~1cm so that the tailgate sticks out that much on that side. Tailgate hasn't been hit. o/s rear light cluster needs replacing although there are no naked bulbs.

I think the chassis is fine. It drives fine and underneath I can't see any problem. Bumper is bent and the bodywork from underneath the o/s rear light cluster to around to the start of the o/s rear wheel arch. The body work has been pushed in ~1cm so that the tailgate sticks out that much on that side. Tailgate hasn't been hit. o/s rear light cluster needs replacing although there are no naked bulbs.

go to a scrappy and buy some bumpers and change them yourself then, its what I did when I hit a tree.

Pit up some pictures dude and tell everyone where you are, if it's a good car it'll make a good project. So you'll be able to avoid the scrappy and put some cash in your pocket. (Y)

Yep always looking for parts if ya breaking....Pop up a few pics.

I'll take some pictures later today when I'm at my folks who live in rural Essex. Views will be: all four sides, engine bay, interior, close up on arches. Neither wings are pristine but pictures will go some way to help determine their condition.

pictures of my car

I had a brief word with the insurance company about buying it back off them. It seems this might not be prohibitively expensive. I forgot to take pictures of the arches but the nearside front wheel arch is in good condition with just one spot of rust visible which could be touched up. Battery is only six months old so that might be worth something to somebody.

If there's enough interest and we can arrange collection dates for the spare parts so that the scrapping process doesn't take too long then I'd be happy to go for it.

Daniel

Just to add, I'm near Amersham in Bucks if anyone is interested in some spare parts. Please get in touch soon as I'll probably have to make the decision to buy it back quite soon.

Daniel

The buy back fee is only something like 4% of the cars value. If you do decide to break, you need to be an official member of have a seller account to list items on the site

Back