my car is ill

sinead54

Ex. Club Member
having a few problems with my car.
had it for nearly 3years, its a 97 micra with 41,000 miles on her.
ive passed my test a month (granda and an uncle would of drove it the odd time)
its a good runner generally, or so i thought.
the past week its stopped dead on me 3 times, lights, cd player. all power cuts off.
first time it happened i was going into second gear at a roundabout, then going down a hill and then this morning at a roundabout again.
i thought i had stalled it the first time, but it wouldnt start again til i took the key out.
any help/advice would be great cos i dont want to her her to the scrappys yet

my car doesnt have an immobiliser, i dont think.
its going to the garage. my dad thinks it was either the electrics or the ignition switch but the mechanic thinks the battery is loose. its going on saturday to get looked at
cheers

my car doesnt have an immobiliser, i dont think.
its going to the garage. my dad thinks it was either the electrics or the ignition switch but the mechanic thinks the battery is loose. its going on saturday to get looked at
cheers

may be worth checking the battery, just checking the connections and sticking a voltmeter on it.

I had issues with my K11, part of the problem was it not starting which obviously differs from your issues but I would be driving along and it would cut out completely, a few times when changing gear, and changing the battery has since then [Sept, touch wood] solved everything.

The immobiliser is standard on the Micra.
There is a chip in the key that is coded to the ECU (car computer).
The car will not start unless it reads the correct key.

Anywho,
Your problem sounds electrical and very much like a loose battery terminal lead.

yea it usually happens when im changing gears although the original battery was dying out so the garage put a new one in. that was about a year ago.
hope its nothing serious because i love my wee car :laugh:
cheers

I'd recommend checking all connections you can see, then double check the Haynes Manual to check if you've missed anything! This is what I've done before. If it doesn't seem to be a connection check the battery with a voltmeter and if it's neither of those things go from there.....

sinead54

the engine will still run even if you take the battery off, so i would say its a corroded fuse problem (main fuses in the engine bay)

thanks for the advice, appreciated!! :grinning:

going to take a wee look when i get home this evening and see what the criac is under the bonnet

thanks again

sinead

thanks for the advice, appreciated!! :grinning:

going to take a wee look when i get home this evening and see what the criac is under the bonnet

thanks again

sinead

got my car sorted :laugh: there was a battery terminal loose and the distributor cap was corroding so got that cleaned up!!

Back