Help!!!! Car Is Not Well!!

As some of you know i drive a pre-facelift 1994 k11 1.3 auto. Recently she hasnt been driving like she should although i couldnt put my finger on the problem and then it came to a head today.
I was driving along and she ground to a halt and stopped with me having no control over her so i started her up again and we went along a bit more and then she went bang! and stopped dead. so i started her up again. and got home again. there she was, oil everywhere.

can anyone shed light onto what the problem might be?

I wouldn't drive your car until this is sorted, sounds like the leak is affecting your internals. Is it leaking from the top or bottom? Check the sump see if it hasn't been knocked off or something, leaking oil. Could have knackered your camshafts, cylinder heads etc if no lubrication was there.

Well i havent driven it since. This sump is definately still there, but i couldnt say anything else for sure until i look at it in the light tomorrow. If its knackered the camshafts or cylinder head etc. how much would do you think i'd be looking at? considering i'm not confident to do it myself....

would cost a fair bit if uve nackered the shafts etc as u would need to take apart the engine and from what ive been told its time consuming as i wanna change my timing chain.

Ok well i've looked at it in the light, the sump plug has fallen out the bottom but not damaged either threads? it appears that this is where the oil has come from..... I assume this must mean that a build up of oil pressure has pushed it out. I could just put the plug back in and top it up with oil but it wouldnt solve the problem. so where do i start in solveing the problem?

i dealt its a build up of pressure its more likely that its just come loose from having it serviced or something try putting the sump plug back in put 3 litres of oil in and see wot happens if ur lucky u might be alrite but if its rattlying then its gonna be expensive

nah it couldnt be build up pressure as there would be other places it would escape from first. As witty said, put in a new plug, oil and start it up. You could be lucky :)

scrap what i just said i does make sense if it was loosing oil as to why the engine was getting grotty but i've heard that engines will seize almost straight away if they have no oil in them?

Ok well its been refilled with oil and its now running and i cant see anything wrong with it. its running as it should.....
This is baffling now and there a few questions that need answering:
Why did it do it in the first place?
Why did the plug fall out when the car had been stopped?
whats stopping it doing it again?

Just sounds like the sump plug wasn't done up tightly enough, might be worth you having the cam cover off to see waht the cams+shims are looking like, you might be lucky and only lost huge amounts of oil when you stopped it.

yeh mate some do. sometimes you can be lucky. do wat evryone else is sayin, but if it still sounds dodgy you,ve done damage, the cam shfts, crank, big ends, small ends, take your pick. you'd be best of gettin another engine, if its recently been serviced or had an oil change, take it to the garafe where you had it done and tell them wats happened and demand that they do summin bout it as its there fault. if summin goes wrong in the garage i work in that we dont know bout, we will sort it out. worth a try.

***********NEWSFLASH*********************
and its not a good one, ok my head gasket went today, which seems like more than coincidence, so i immediately went to a garage (well two of them) and they both said judging by what happened before aswell as the situtation there is a problem in the bottom end. The cheaper option for me would be to change the engine.
Are they selling me baloney? if they arent would it be worthwhile changing the auto box while i'm there seeing as its something i've wanted done since i got the car....
replys in a self addressed envelope :p

if you want to change it into manual u may as well get it done while its there saves u losing the car again. also depends on ur funds

yeah if its the bottom end gone, it would be cheaper to change the engine as they would probably have to pull the engine pretty much out anyway. Chie has an engine and box for sale i think.

Back