My car doesnt want to go to JAE!

Stani1029

Club Member
Well tonight me and a mate were making the 160 mile round trip to watch our local football team. We took my car which we always joke wouldnt make it but doesnt let me down much. Well this time it did, after about 20 miles sitting in fifth gear we caught traffic approaching a roundabout all was fine for a few hundred metres then i felt a judder on the clutch but i thought nothing if it as afterwards the car drove as normal. About 30 more miles sitting in 5th gear we approached another roundabout and thats when i realused i couldnt get it into another gear after trying to change. We had to abandon all plans and concentrate on getting home. Made it 3 miles from home before we couldnt get the clutch to grip anymore so had to get a tow from my brother.

Now heres what i think has happened, i was driving through very bad rain (like ive not seen in a longtime) and i dont have a flywheel/clutch shield so i think the waters been driving in there. So may need to bite the bullet and buy an uprated clutch, what do people recommend? And what flywheel modifications are needed

Thanks

Oh crap :(. I'm sure if you and your pal can find the parts you could get it done - we're all right behind you getting to JAE you know :).

I doubt if its the cover stani, i,ve ran for years now without one (and polly iirc) sounds like something,s failed to me :)

Trust me im going! The car is just hesitating, im going to have a chat with mr humphris tomorrow and see what he can offer ;) running out of time though :(

I doubt if its the cover stani, i,ve ran for years now without one (and polly iirc) sounds like something,s failed to me :)

So have i but the rain was really bad and when i was going through small puddles on the motorway the clutch would slip then judder like mad then be on its way again.

Bad news aswell, matts off till monday so cant get a clutch till tuesday whixh requires a stock flywheel to be redrilled etc so ive had to order a new stock clutch (£48+vat) and fit that for JAE and im going to need to replace the gearbox just incase anything has happened to that

I drove from Edinburgh to Horsham (550 odd miles?) in my Micra with three gears, 1st 2nd and 5th. You still have a week to get it sorted so see you at JAE ;)

Cool, ill sort something out after jae. But im so tempted to haul the engine out. Clear my credit card over a couple months, then go mad on a full build. But then i reckon ill be in the same position once thats built regarding engine mapping where nobody is interested in doing it. Been thinking about looking into it myself but im too stupid!

Or the other route say goodbye

Cool, ill sort something out after jae. But im so tempted to haul the engine out. Clear my credit card over a couple months, then go mad on a full build. But then i reckon ill be in the same position once thats built regarding engine mapping where nobody is interested in doing it. Been thinking about looking into it myself but im too stupid!

Or the other route say goodbye
Never say good bye. I have a helix 3 paddle fast road raching clutch and its amazing stani. I am waiting on matt as well for monday to get coilover parts... We will see who rings in first :D

Thats the one im using at the moment, i will need a bigger one as the one im using is only rated to the power im expecting. I wont be calling him monday as i pick up a new standard clutch later as a temporary solution until i decide what im doing

Heres the problem

784D5FF5-2E76-4D50-A108-5E2682D07CC3-1107-000000FFE1982080.jpg

A3F7A5EB-2F2B-4443-BE9F-543A5E9449E7-1107-000000FFE9EAF770.jpg

Wow and you never noticed
i duno about you but i would of noticed that :)

Same situation as me you wouldnt have, the only thing that was showing was the clutch not fully depressing after attempting to change gear after a straight 30 mile drive without changing gear. Nothing else no noises, no hints nothing! Dont get me wrong i previously mentioned either the gearbox or release bearing was knocking but **** me this happened all so quick! I cant put 2psi through it safely lol

we will map it if you can make it down

Nah its too late now

Ok now it's my turn :(

Driving to work the car started to kangaroo, acting like it was going to stall. Foot to the floor and nothing, then it would shoot forward, hesitate, shoot forward and so on.

Now I'm guessing it's a lambda fault which is a major problem cause I haven't got time to get a new one before JAE and even if I did I have even less time to swap it over.

Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what it is?

Should mention I'll be swapping the HT leads when I get home in the morning, everything else was done a few months back when it was serviced

If I remember correctly when mine kanga'd everywhere the thorttle body was on its way out. I wonder whats yours is. Have you not got a computer with some fault finding software?

Stani1029 said:
If its lambda fault then unplugging it should stop it?

Not lambda then cause even unplugged it does it

SirChris said:
If I remember correctly when mine kanga'd everywhere the thorttle body was on its way out. I wonder whats yours is. Have you not got a computer with some fault finding software?

It's not the throttle body, I checked it before replacing it and no it's on my to buy list :(

Hope you get it sorted Karl, I've experienced that a few times in my old micra, for me it was only on cold, put my foot down nothing....

This is going to sound very vague but could it be a fuelling issue or an air blockage..

Someone might be coming with a laptop with software. I can bring my consult cable? Anyone know any free software t use instead of nistune?

I thought it could be a fueling issue when it first started but as far as I can tell alls good, Ed even pulled one of my plugs at RRG and was happy enough with what he saw.

I like your idea Chris but if I can't get this solved by Thursday night there is no way I'd risk 2 1/2 hours on the motorway it'd be stupid and dangerous

I'll have a look at the maf and check for vac leaks, I hope it's something quick to fix otherwise I'll kick the crap out of it

Ok so I've....

Swapped ht leads
Reconnected a vac line on the back of the tb
Checked the maf wire and that's clean

There does seem to be what looks like a pool of oil in the inlet mani, nothing major more a light film

Back