Mum's Micra is losing water...FAST!

M

Mum's K11

Hi all,

I used to be registered on here as Red K11 and posted a few times over a year ago, but my account no longer seems to work probably due to the lack of posting...

Well anyway my mums 1993 K11 1.0 has finally developed a problem after a few years of trouble free motoring...

It seems to be losing water really fast.. She complained it over heated about a week ago, when i checked the water it was completely empty.

I filled it up and ran the engine at idle checking the radiator supply and return pipes but couldn't see any signs of leaks so i told her to run it a a while and see if happens again...

Well it did today, so i'm going to check it over for her later today but just need some pointers please.

The car has about 88k and is serviced once a year by me (I normally do plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter and last year did the fuel filter) It flew through the MoT needing just a CV boot and some minor welding.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

if it's losing water rapidly and there's no water drips, all that liquid must've gone somewhere. has the coolant been replaced recently?

i'm suspecting blown head gasket.
signs may include:

-thick white exhaust smoke that stays in air more than 2sec and smells antifreeze sweety

-preferably running the engine from cold for safety, remove the rad cap and look out for bubbling

-milky looking contaminated engine oil (look at dipstick or through oil fill cap)

-misfiring cylinder

The heater matrix could be leaking, this goes into the cabin at the rear of the engine bay, roughly in the middle and about half-way down, there are two pipes next to each other, check these for evidence of leaks by driving with the heater control set to full hot.
Also, check the footwells for water/the sweet smell of coolant.

thanks fellas, i'll check in a bit about to go and inspect...i hope it's not the matrix that sounds expensive...

well i got under it...the water's coming out as soon as i put it in, but from the back of the engine around the Oil Filter Housing area...

i can't tell how it's coming out though...i can't feel any split pipes...

i took a pic, i'll try and post it up in a bit

Sorry about the quality of the pic, it's a camera phone and a very awkward angle to take the pic from...the water is running the sump but in this pic it's flowing so fast from the back of the block...

It runs out as soon as i put it in, regardless of whether the engine is running or not...

11042007002.jpg

theres a pipe on the inlet manifold which is a pain to get to to check or put back on so i'd check that first, if not check any core plugs havent came out in the head and block

Thanks for that Fordy but i'll probably need a bit more of an explanation than that...what's a core plug and how would i check it?

Also the pipe u talk about, where exactly would it be and do i need to start removing stuff from the throttle housing to get to it?

certainly sounds like a pipe has split or come off or a core plug has come out due to the speed of which the water is pouring out...all I can suggest is keep pouring water in until you can see where the water is leaking from, if it's coming out that fast it must be a noticeable leak?

If it comes out when you pour it in it has to be low, get yourself underneath the car and acquainte with the coolant pipes there, then get someone to pour water in, you should be able to see where it comes from, could be a hose that's come off.

IF it's coming from the rear of the engine i suspect the main water pump outlet or one of the throttlebody coolant lines that come from it. Craig's method should sort you out though.......worth getting wet for anyway lol.

thanks guys, i've only got a trolley jack at home but no ramps and did try this yesterday using a powerful torch to help see but i just couldn't tell. I'll try and get it to a garage today and get it on a ramp. Hoping it's just a hose!

Just got back from the garage. Basically the O Ring that sits between the inlet pipe at the back of the water pump had failed.

The part was only £2.39 from the dealers but the garage are charging £30 to fit it. But it did look like something i probably shouldn't attempt at home.. I'm sure the more competent amongst are now going to tell me i should have done it at home:upside:

It is a bit of a faff, one bolt is very award to ge to, £30 for such job is not a bad price at all TBH.

thanks Craig. Why would the O ring fail, could it be a symptom of something more serious or is it just one of those things?

thanks Craig. Why would the O ring fail, could it be a symptom of something more serious or is it just one of those things?
Just one of those things. The material they are made of can breakdown over time due to changes in temperature or whatever, the o-rings then become brittle and crack, losing their seal.

well it just looked like a rubber washer similar to one i could have picked up from a DIY shop for pennies...

Whats involved in replacing it? Does the Water Pump need to come off the car?

I don't have a K11 and have never worked on one, however I assume it would be a matter of removing the water pump, getting rid of the knackered o-ring, cleaning he surfaces, greasing up the o-ring, fitting the o-ring and then replacing the water-pump.

And yes, it is just a rubber washer made to the exact size.

Yep, but also the water pump drive belt needs to come off and ideally so does the alternator belt, a fiddly job to do, the problem is all fixed now then?

hi fellas,

well i went back to the garage to collect and the mechanic was still working on it...he seemed to be struggling a bit so i told him not to rush it and i'll collect it in the morning..

Glad i didn't attempt it at home now!!

I'll keep you posted

Picked the car back up.. all done.

He did point out a pinhole on one of the metal pipes at the back and put some mixture sealant stuff on it. He said that will probably hold it for a while but just to keep an eye out as eventually that metal pipe will probably need replacing too.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Happy Motoring :grinning:

Back