Modified exhausts and MOT's

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Anyone clued up on MOT's? Need some advice.
Cats in the exhaust, if the vehicle was fitted with one as standard, and they are removed, is this an instant fail?
Really struggling to find an exhaust system for my 1.3 that's suitable for competition and MOT's... Hit a brick wall tonight.
What are you all using?
We don't have a standard system we can just swap back on for MOT.

I'm pretty sure the law changes a few years ago stating that if the car came out of the factory with a cat, it needs a cat to pass. It used to be that as long as it passed emissions you would be fine. Pretty sure anything pre 1993 doesn't require a cat at all but that's not much use to Micra owners :(

I would think you either fit a sports cat or just punch through the original and hope it passes emissions? As long as it looks like there is a cat there and it passes I don't see any reason it would fail.

Anyone clued up on MOT's? Need some advice.
Cats in the exhaust, if the vehicle was fitted with one as standard, and they are removed, is this an instant fail?
Really struggling to find an exhaust system for my 1.3 that's suitable for competition and MOT's... Hit a brick wall tonight.
What are you all using?
We don't have a standard system we can just swap back on for MOT.
You can have 3 inch all the way though but for mot u must have a cat on , it's not the noise what fails it's the emissions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noise regs too

"the vehicle must not be significantly louder than an equivalent new vehicle"

So if it's too loud, you can fall.

Can't be loud as it's a competition car anyway.
Think I'm sorted now, thanks anyway everyone for the replies.

From what I've heard Sports Cats are a load of rubbish. They only last a year or so, and can be quite expensive!

Also some people who do mots don't care about having a cat where I work in a garage one of them up their has a 2001 Subaru Impreza and hasn't got a single cat on it 3 inch straight pipe goes through emissions fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't boast about that online.

They could lose their licence to do mot's and get prosecuted for falsifying official documentation.

It's an imprissionable offence.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back