Mindless violence after Japfest - grrr

James

Chairman
I'll try not to get bogged down with the story so i'll keep it short.

Me and my mates had a good day at Japfest, met up with the NPOC lot, watched cars drifting etc, all good and decided we would go for some food before we went home (3hr drive).

So we had the food etc, and as we were leaving KFC, there was a guy in front of us with two kids clinging to him (one to his face!). He held the door open for us, which we thanked him for, but for some reason he didn't hear us so as we got back to the car we heard this shouted from the door of KFC: "It's a good job I have kids with me so I can't swear cos that was really rude!!".

We didn't think it was directed at us until we saw him looking at us, and he then started ranting on about how we didn't thank him for holding the door open for us!!! We said "Sorry mate, you must not have heard us."

He walked off, so we loaded the Almera up and as we got in the car I noticed him coming back over, i told my mate to lock the doors which he did and we wound down the window a bit. The first words to come out his mouth were "I'm not gonna smack you don't worry" - oh crap I thought, people that say stuff like that you just don't want to deal with.

He kept going on about how it was really rude that we didn't thank him, we kept saying he just didn't hear us, then all of a sudden I saw his mate wander over, then 2 seconds later, CRACK, his hand SMACKED against my windscreen cracking it, he must have hit it bloody hard, take a look for yourselves:

http://www.pc-retail.com/upload/files/30.HPIM0531 (Large).JPG

Then the guy said again "I didn't want that to happen! All you had to say was thank you and you'd have been my best mates". Idiot.

£65 windscreen charge and they can't book me in till Tuesday! I had to get towed back from Bristol too cos I couldn't see a thing out of that!

I don't understand what he thought that solved, it probably cut up his hand (I hope so at least!!) and caused me a load of grief.

I suppose I should be glad it was my windscreen, not my face but still... :mad:

What follows may disturb you, an Almera on a recovery truck!! :eek:

http://www.pc-retail.com/upload/files/27.HPIM0532 (Large).JPG

http://www.pc-retail.com/upload/files/16.HPIM0535 (Large).JPG

But hey, Japfest was good!!

A tired and slightly annoyed,
James.

guy seemed like a tosser, all allways have a socket thing in my door incase anyone like that trys any of that!!

glad it was just a windscreen and not ur face

There are some real idiots out there. Being a student I see my fair share of trouble on nights out in town - just a couple of nights ago I had left a club early by myself (had a 7.30am start) and got onto the bus. Was just sat there minding my own business and some muppets decided to have a go. Without going into any details I was OK, but you just wonder why they bother! It's so pointless. Where's their brains??

Couldnt agree more jarthur, I had something similar happen a couple of years back, me and 2 mates were walking home at about 4am when this Punto stops by the side of us and 4 people leap out and just randomly ask "if we're starting on them" - they proceeded to give me a bleeding nose by punching me straight on it and knocked both my mates to the ground too.

I thought all this playground fighting and reacting #### was supposed to stop after school but clearly not.

What a wonderful world we live in.

yes mate sorry to hear about the car that just wasnt called for, you should start carrying summat in the door, they generally shut up and back away when you show it, you dont even need to use it most of the time.

I carry a length of 75mm2 wire im my door pocket.

only because you didnt hear him and he hits your windscreen?! what was the point just for a couple of words! if i was you i would've said "i want some money for that mate" then get out of the car with some baseball bats and then see what he would have to say! its shcoking what some people will do in this day and age!

Mate you certainly attract unwanted attention to yourself don't you! Unlucky though, glad it wasnt any worse. Can imagine how peed off you are. Makes you wonder what's wrong with people to quite happily do stuff like that. Muppets.

shame i wasnt with you......

just imagine if that was me and daweson in your car......

that bloke would have been on the floor appologising to you....

oooooh i hate it when i cant help.
i carry a 24" 1"drive breaker bar in my boot....... i used to carry a paintball gun too..

James did you actually go back into KFC to see weather they had CCTV or not? Or any other CCTV in the area...

Yeah I did and they didn't have any that covered my car, they only covered the drive thru and the main parts of the inside!

Right so he will be on cctv inside the shop. Thats all you needed to identify him you dont need to see your car.

We're the police called at the time? Next time, don't wait around to see what nutters will do, get it started and floor it out of there :)

mate thats bad. wat a Twoccer. i would turned full lock and reveresed into him, then rolled forwards onto his legs and let the exhaust get warm while kicking him in the head but thats just me lol. grrr makes me so angry when these things happen... i carry industrial SBR30 paint stripper in a water pistol in my car. would cause more pain than a baseball bat and its long range, and works on chavs cars :p

Bad luck James. What did he do with the kids?, leave them in the car while he played hard man!!

Tbh though i am shocked at what some of you lot are coming out with. Your as bad as them if you want to physically cause harm, even if they did start it. Not worth it these days.

I would have gone mental if someone had done that to my car. You can't physically touch him because his kids are there, but I would have shouted the odds, rang the five-oh and taken his reg plate, at the least.

I wudda got out and broke his windscreen/face/legs/etc theres just no need for it, why take it out on the car?

I would have gone mental if someone had done that to my car. You can't physically touch him because his kids are there, but I would have shouted the odds, rang the five-oh and taken his reg plate, at the least.

you shudda done it in front of his kids so they can see what sorta bloke their dad is.

I wonder how many of you would be doing the above in a real situation. it's ok to become keyboard warriors, but in the heat of the suituation, things are going to be different. You won't have time to think about the situation, you usually just do whatever comes into your head first.

Car's can be repaired or replaced, lives cannot! Someone breaks your windscreen, and you break there neck, you will be the one who is worse off... damaged car and a prison sentance, not smart is it. People are too quick to use violence, the reason his windscreen was smashed in the first place.

I know if your being attacked, you should go down fighting instead of taking it, but im just saying violence should always be avoided.

Arnold is right. It is easy to sit behind a screen and advise stabbings etc (and that is indeed what most of us feel like doing in these situations) but in the real world common sense has to prevail. If you have to fight then use your fists, weapons are for cowards. There is no way you could plead self-defence if you used a knife or wrench/bat on an unarmed person, it would be YOU who ended up in prison.

shame :( ...pitty your mate didnt catch it all on his mobile phone...as said it can be repaired. Though thats not really the point, unfotunatly some people are idiots and theres not much we can do about them apart from hope our paths dont cross that often.

I wonder how many of you would be doing the above in a real situation. it's ok to become keyboard warriors, but in the heat of the suituation, things are going to be different. You won't have time to think about the situation, you usually just do whatever comes into your head first.

Car's can be repaired or replaced, lives cannot! Someone breaks your windscreen, and you break there neck, you will be the one who is worse off... damaged car and a prison sentance, not smart is it. People are too quick to use violence, the reason his windscreen was smashed in the first place.

I know if your being attacked, you should go down fighting instead of taking it, but im just saying violence should always be avoided.

i know if someone hit my car or smashed my window i would not let them get away without getting a good hit at them or something over there head:)

A mate of mine got in serious trouble for pulling a replica gun on 4 blokes tht had just rear ended him at the lights, they got abusive and threatened to stab him so he pulled out his blank firer and he got arrested, they got away with it. I know he was in the wrong but he thought his life was in danger, you cant even defend yourself anymore.

Self-defence:

Only such force may be used as is reasonable in the circumstances. The question of whether force used was reasonable will be left to the jury.

If you think you are going to be attacked you may arm yourself in preparation and can be exempt from Firearms and Explosives offences.

You do not have to demonstrate an unwillingness to fight.

You do not have to wait to be attacked, you may strike pre-emptively.

Hence I would argue that you can, in fact, still defend yourself.

i still think that if a big fat hairly bloke was running at you shouting the odds and u ####ted him with a camshaft in defence you'd be the one up poo mountain.

Yes you would, because that's how things are in the UK. In the USA or somewhere, you're allowed to defend what's yours, but over here, it's usually the guilty that have more rights than those they target. Another great thing about the UK...

if i was in the car at the time id have lamped him one, or blocked him in, and awaited the police..

grrr i hate people like that, thinkin there it grrr

sorry to hear about what happened matey.

sorry !!

Self-defence:

Only such force may be used as is reasonable in the circumstances. The question of whether force used was reasonable will be left to the jury.

If you think you are going to be attacked you may arm yourself in preparation and can be exempt from Firearms and Explosives offences.

You do not have to demonstrate an unwillingness to fight.

You do not have to wait to be attacked, you may strike pre-emptively.

Hence I would argue that you can, in fact, still defend yourself.

where did you get this definition of self defence from, self defence constitutes using resonable force in resoponse to a situation pre-emptive strikes will be considered by the courts as a provocative action rather than a reaction, excemtion from firearms offences is not correct if somebody (as in this case) attacks a vehicle pulling a firearm will be taken as a serious offence not self-defence.

Pre-emptive strikes see the cases of Beckford (1988) and Cousins (1982).

Preparing for an attack using explosives see case Attorney-General's Reference (No 2 of 1983) (1984).

Information taken from Criminal Law Textbook.

Where did you get your definition from?

I am aware of cases of that nature but also in my line of work (police officer) it is not always that clear cut as a text book definition, majority of cases were somebody has struck in a pre-emptive manner will not be classed as self defence but as provocative, those cases are anomolies unfortunatly which i understand is a flaw in the system but if it was that clear cut people could easily get away with cases of GBH and ABH.

Exactly, and especially an unknown enemy - he could have been weilding anything behind his back, blade in pocket, you never know what people will do. It simply isnt worth it these days, not in the UK atleast.

Yeah, to be honest at the time I was more worried than feeling confrontational, RAC should be coming to give me a new windscreen between 1 and 5pm tomorrow provided it doesn't rain!

The woman on the phone confused me though:
RAC: "It's a green screen right?"
Me: ":suspect: Erm, green?? Do you have any other screens for the Almera? Like, clear ones?!"
RAC: "No, just the green ones"
Me: "I'm pretty sure the one on there at the moment isn't green!"
RAC: "Oh you probably won't be able to tell it's green!"

I certainly hope not!! I don't want everyone to look like certain mutant turtles... haha

I am aware of cases of that nature but also in my line of work (police officer) it is not always that clear cut as a text book definition, majority of cases were somebody has struck in a pre-emptive manner will not be classed as self defence but as provocative, those cases are anomolies unfortunatly which i understand is a flaw in the system but if it was that clear cut people could easily get away with cases of GBH and ABH.

Well what I stated are the principles of the law in this area. Those cases are sound, and are not being taught as exceptions - thus not 'flaws in the system'. I appreciate there is a huge difference between academic law and the law in reality, but the principles I stated are correct. I would imagine that in reality juries are far more likely to consider such actions as outside the scope of self-defence, hence the high number of convictions. However, my points remain valid. Subjectivity of the jury is a different matter altogether, and for this reason I would not advise anyone to arm themselves prior to a confrontation :)

Exactly, and especially an unknown enemy - he could have been weilding anything behind his back, blade in pocket, you never know what people will do. It simply isnt worth it these days, not in the UK atleast.

thts a very good point, so many people are tooled up these days, i had a chav pull a knife on me cos i wudnt give him 25p to use a payphone, lucky he was little and drunk cos i just knocked him on his a*** and walked away, it could have been a lot worse.
people cant fight fair anymore, if they haven't got a weapon they get their mates on you.

people cant fight fair anymore, if they haven't got a weapon they get their mates on you.

Yep, another good point well made - its rare that two people have a simple face off in this day and age - the weaker of the two will usually call in mates to assist, queensbury rules long forgotton, honour and moral abandoned in favor of certain victory - no matter how shallow it may be against an outnumbered enemy.

Its a sad world, and a sad age in which we live. The country needs a good war to shake everyone up and make them realise what matters in life - because it sure as heck isnt mindless bickering over simple misunderstandings, or people with a chip on their shoulders trying to prove they are big and clever. We are unfortunatly a nation divided in many ways.

I blame it all on mods and rockers! :D

People are just sad these day's. I can't stand blokes that think violence makes them look good, just makes them look useless and pathetic to me!

jarthur05 i wasnt disputing the validity of what you was stating i was merely putting my side of the laws view forward thats all i was only making the point that text book definitions will rarely stand up in court. and i do agree with you that arming yourself is to put it bluntly daft as it could easily cause an excalation in a situation im sure we can both agree on that lol :)

lol!

Only a couple of hours now before I get a new (green) windscreen! lol

Here's an external shot for you all!

James.

Attachments

• HPIM0540 (Large).JPG
    HPIM0540 (Large).JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 527
I wonder how many of you would be doing the above in a real situation. it's ok to become keyboard warriors,

hahahaha

I've yet to meet anyone who carries a "tool" in their car actually have the balls to use it

if people used the 'tools' they are 'packing' they would kill someone before long, but people just have them as deterants. i dont keep anything like that in the car cuz i know if i lost my temper i would use it and that worries me more than taking a slap or three.

lol!

Only a couple of hours now before I get a new (green) windscreen! lol

Here's an external shot for you all!

James.

it looks like the original one has a slight green tint in the photos but the best way to check is by putting some white paper under the wiper and seeing if it looks slightly green if not get them to order the windscreen with the right colour tint!

Well the RAC guy is here now! An hour to do and no driving it for an hour afterwards, but at least it's being done now!

i would most certainly stand up for my right as a human being and a citizen of this country to go where i want (within reason) to look at whomever i want and to say whatever i want.

if theres anything i have learned dealing with customers in the retail sector its that everyone is different, and its very hard to judge a persons actions before they happen. that is why when im at work im allways allert to situations and can usualy either diffuse them, or disarm the culprit.

i have been in many altercations that i have been the victim of, and i have never come out worse. ever, and its because of this i am happy to say that i would not hessitate to step into a situation where my fists are needed to settle a fight, stop a fight or defend myself.

however, i have never and will never use a weapon..... (but for appearance sake only i have the breaker bar in my boot.)

if push came to shuv, (as it where) i would be forced into making a move, and using my knowledge of tai-kwon-do, karate and years of kick boxing would be able to "deck anyone that tries"...lol

What a horrible nasty bloke for doing that, needs to be locked up. At least you and your mates are ok, if you still have the old screen then the attackers dna will be on the windscreen if thats any help with the police. I think the Green screens just have an anti-glare sun strip at the top, quite nice actually

Back