Mig or Tig

h701micra

Deactivated Account
This was just a thought I had to gather everybody's thoughts and tips for welding.

I only have a mig welder and weld pretty much everything I need with it
Not sure whether to invest in a tig or not?
Aluminium is the hardest to do on the mig low power high speed. But I use a brass heat sink and it seems to help me weld alot slower and neater
I've got a few plans for aluminium in the future. So stay mig or go tig?

Tig is the dogs bollocks of welding, its like going from a horse and cart to a rolls-royce. You can get beautiful welds no matter how thick the material. I've seen someone weld two razor blades together with Tig (end to end!), and as a bonus you can use it like a plasma cutter if you ramp the amps up. 100% go tig.

I would have shown you photos of my welding with tig versus with stick to show you just how easy it is, but even after reinstalling the app I can't upload photos. Please fix it James...

Really? I am planning to get this then?

I don't have knowledgeable to get weld wires or gas bottle so please can someone explain to me? And where can I get them?

Cheers
Jk

Ok here we go, so heres my stick welding to show my general welding skill level:
20130530_111158_zps7d0180a8.jpg

And here's what you can do with TIG (note that this was done on the welder at work, and it spikes current as the ac tries kicking in on dc, I have to scratch start that f*cks up the tip a bit and there was a hole in the plate in the middle of my run >.> )
20130530_114715_zpsfc1f3bdb.jpg

20130530_114644_zpsfcb6699b.jpg

20130530_114703_zpsdb39f61b.jpg

So if even I can get results that good, imagine how good a competent welder could be!

So it's close to my area. :)

Is it going to be with to fix both sills, front panel and maybe rear quarter body panel?

I tried to find out about this features information. I will be right back.

Jk

I can't see anything thats a definate no, and I think 30A minimum current should be fine for body work. I'd find out the cost of these disposable CO2 canisters, just make sure they're not something daft like the 12g powerlets!

I think this cebora 130a will be ok because it is close to my place and also it will be bargain price to get it. i am going to find out tomo with this seller. oh yea there is halfords in my area so they do sell disposable bottles with any gas.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...h_start_index=10&tabNo=1&reqType=productsAjax

which gas shall i get it? anyway i will post on here tomorrow when this seller tell me more specific details about these bottles and weld wires.

i dont mind about the money but i need to sort out with my other micra. i do miss this micra beacuse i want to fix her up and get her on roads asap as well!

cheers
jk

for MIG CO2 is usually fine, some people use a CO2 argon mix, but I personally think this is over the top unless it's gotta be asthetically pleasing as well, or if you're welding together mild and stainless steels it helps, but it's VERY rare you'd ever need or even want to do that.

Ok so its £16.99 and it more cost than argon or argon mix with co2.

btw what welding wire shall i use for new front panel, sills and maybe driver side rear quarter panel? i want to use strong one as good bonding welds.

thanks guys for helping. :)

i hope that i will get this welder over this weekend.

the bog standard copper coated stuff, just make sure it's a smaller diameter than the thickness of the metal you are welding or the current will melt the bodywork before the wire, and your welder will work as a pretty effective cutting tool.

Disposable gas bottles are very expensive and don't last long, better getting a 'pub gas' regulator and a larger bottle of co2. Plenty of places do rent free bottles.

Back