Turbo manifold build..

cisco

» CMF Member
Dropping into liverpool exhaust tomorrow. They have their own laser cutting machine etc. And buying a Nissan Micra exhaust flange plate (the one that bolts up to the head) - a bargain at $50, and also picking up the rectangle 4-hole flange that bolts from the manifold onto the turbo.

That will give me the two sides of my manifold, then going to buy a bucket full of mild steel buttweld fittings from www.blackwoods.com.au in Fyshwick and start assembling my new manifold.

I'm going to do all the positioning and grinding to get a design that I'm really happy with. Then I think get my neighbour to do all the welding. He has a some huge MIG or TIG welder and does it for a living. I'll have to modify the dump pipe also to fit to the new position.

cisco

» CMF Member
While I'm there, I'm going to pick up a whole pile of exhaust studs, a flange plate for the dump pipe to join the 3" section, and assorted junk. Can't wait. Should be pretty cool to see all their stock. Also hopefully the two flanges that bolt onto the compressor cover of the T28bb.

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Thats great mate, Sounds like it's all coming together nicely.

You'll probably be more happy with your own design and get more satisfaction from it as well.

Hope to see the monster again real soon.

cisco

» CMF Member
Dropped into Liverpool Exhaust today..

WOW What an impressive setup they have.
They employ bucket loads of people. Its just basically a huge manufacturing plant where they churn out everything.

This guy took me in the factory bit to find all the flanges I needed. Man they had like 3 micra exhaust flanges in stock just sitting there, they are the exact one like what was on my old manifold, i.e. with the screw stud expansion slots etc. Looks very good. $50. BARGAIN - wouldn't bother making one yourself. Also got the T28 exhaust input flange, and a couple of 2.5" and 3" 3-bolt 3-sided dump pipe flanges. Also got matching gaskets for everything. TOTAL cost $114. Over the moon with that. Manifold here we come.

Man, liverpool exhaust's factory is amazing though. You should have seen this huge rack thing with every single flange you've ever seen hanging off it. And about 20 in stock of everything. Even weird rare ****.

Highly recommended place. I'll always get all my turbo flanges and stuff from there now. MUCH cheaper than all the ripoff turbo and local exhaust places.

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Hey Cisco, Just found a turbo manifold on www.tunedautomotive.com.au for a turbo Starlet may give you some ideas.

Hope it helps.

Tony

Attachments

• 7731.gif
    7731.gif
    45.6 KB · Views: 32

cisco

» CMF Member
My old manifold was built by City Custom Exhaust in Canberra.

cisco

» CMF Member
Rang up the exhaust place today.

His original comment was that it would be ready by the end of this week (tomorrow.

Told me today he hadn't even started yet.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah its pretty funny.

Modifying rare cars certainly develops your patience.

cisco

» CMF Member
Allright some good progress.

Dropped in today, they've made some good progress.

The manifold is finished. Double-dump is outstanding and just awaiting on the alloy intercooler pipework to arrive so they can hook all that up aswell.

Definately going to be new year.. Everything shuts down now, i.e. HPC coating place aswell.

The manifold now mounts the turbo extremely offset to the left which is how I designed it to sit. They have got the turbo sitting in a great spot. As always with turbo manifolds on the micra, its always a compromise because of the lack of space. The rightmost runner is much longer than the other ones, but that's because of the offset mounting position. Shouldn't have any real noticable downsides in reality. Its smooth flowing, the 1st and 2nd runners are very direct which is excellent, the third one bends around to come back in at a decent angle (better than my last manifold had) and the 4th runner is long and smooth but still comes in at a good angle, just that its longer than all the others.

The whole thing is very solid and sturdy looking, so I'm very happy with the job.

Here's some dodgy pics of the raw manifold just after welding. They haven't finished all the die-grinding yet. After that's done, I'll get it HPC coated like the last manifold.

The whole thing is going to have a stainless steel heat shield covering it anyway, so it actually won't be visible.

The guy is nice and friendly, and also wished me a merry christmas. Great to see some nice customer service.

Getting there..

Attachments

• 9519.jpg
    9519.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 35

cisco

» CMF Member
I'll try to get some better pictures when I go back and its all HPC coated.

I'm never 100% satisfied with manifolds. There are always compromises to achieve everything when you have the tight space that the micra has.

But taking everything into consideration, I'm happy with the result.

cisco

» CMF Member
No no! I am very happy with this manifold.

Just that I don't think you can ever make the perfect manifold in a tight space - in general.

cisco

» CMF Member
They quoted between $400-600. Pretty good for Aus prices. My last one was a ripoff, and not as good as this one.

HPC coating will be extra ontop.

cisco

» CMF Member
Hmm I don't think so, but will advise what the final price turns out to be.

CMF_JKL

» CMF Member
Wow! $400-$600... They do quality work too. I have used Liverpool Exhaust for many years.
I purchased a numbetr of flange plates and stove pipe mandrels myself, last week. I have since welded up one manifold with another coming hopefully tomorrow.
Very interested in you design Cisco, but the pics didn't work for me???

CMF_JKL

» CMF Member
Air cond needs a different manifold design due to the lack of room. The turbo sits higher and closer to the manifold. This the same as the basic log style manifold design I am making at the moment, just with different exhaust flange.

Attachments

• 27884.jpg
    27884.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 31

CMF_JKL

» CMF Member
Will contact you very soon smidge..
Didnt get much done for my own projects today, have been real busy in the workshop. Got headgaskets, clutches and engine conversions all over the place.

CMF_JKL

» CMF Member
Im making a few but its slow... I have a lot of work on and this is my project stuff.
Smidge is next in line at this stage and I hope to have a sample for him by early next week. I will be selling them to interested Micra members a fair bit cheaper than other suppliers, but buyers just have to be patient.
Keep an eye out and ask again next week if you like.
Cheers

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
I did my manifold like that, JKL, just watch the clearance of the left most stack, since on mine it is a little too close to the alternator...... You have to make another alternator mount......

CMF_JKL

» CMF Member
Hey Smidge...
The blank Turbo Log Manifolds are finished. Will post a pic tomorrow and give you first option. There's a couple of other guys interested also.
Can do them for $300
CG13DE 12ml Exhaust Flange and 1-1/4" steam pipe mandrels. Heavy guage welding on all seams. Internal die ground and port matched.
Manifolds are high and tight, keeping Turbo mounted closer to engine than radiator and fans, suitable for A/C engines also.

Pic's tomorrow.

Back