Welding aluminium

jabran200

Ex. Club Member
Basically i wanted to modify and sti tmic to fir my car. I did not realise it was aluminium as i only have a mig welder and oxy/acetylene welder.

My brotehr said that he tried welding aluminium with the mig suign aluminium wire and rubber liner but had no luck as the wire at the tip would just burn off when toucheing the aluminium we are welding too, still gonna give it a try today.

We used oxy acetylene and burnt a hole through it and then used aluminium rod and some blue powder and managed to cover it up and was solid albeit a bit dirty.

Any tips on doing this? or will i have to get someone to weld it for me?

Oxy/acetylene does it too as we did succeed but need to practice further if we want to get it right.

But you are right we do need a tig to do it properly and easily. I don't no anyone in london that does do it, can anyone on here recommned someone? I know a guy but he is near hatfield which i can use as a last resort.

I have welded aluminum before using a MIG. I got as far as only being able to weld really thick stuff.

I used the same power settings as steel with roughly double the wire speed. I also used pure argon gas.

U can weld aluminium with any welding equipment, Tis easy :p

Oxy fuel: Temp low, move quickly, feed alot of filler wire, it will look a bit weak the first run, but the second run will strengthen it no end.

Tig: Needs aluminum filler wire, can use either a multipurpose element or a aluminum specific titanium on :) Move quickly with a fairly high amperage.

MMA: needs aluminum rods, temp low move quickly

mig, needs aluminum filler wire, again high temp move quickly.

If you lived near me i would have done it for you lol :p

Shr3k

Don't suppose theres anyone on here that will be able to do the welding locallly (or not too far) for me if i mark it up etc? I'll sort out whoevers is doing it.

Back