Middle cat

Um, you might have slightly higher emmisions, but cats only work well when hot, and only on a long journey will enough heat get into it that it'll actually do anything.
If you WERE concerned with emissions on short journeys, I'd get a coilpack manifold back, only one cat on the manifold but it's slightly longer and so more effective :)

If the second cat is blocked up removing it might help :p
A few things can cause poor fuel efficiency:
Binding brakes
Underinflated tyres
Failed/failing sensors (e.g. maf, temp, lambda)
incorrect ignition timing

Just a general health check really, start with cheap/free things, then see how your economy goes. But your driving style affects it most!

Any sports system will give better economy as long as you don't go to much bigger... and as long as you can resist the heavy right foot that results from the noise!

Yeah that isn't right... with less restriction, the engine has to work less hard moving the exhaust gases, increasing efficiency.

Not sure about illegal , but I know it would fail on MOT on removal of catlytic converter

Yeah I know it's a mot fail but read so many different things about them some saying there legal and some saying not..... Didn't want to risk it just In case Hmmm I dunno as you still have the first cat.... But at the same time you can buy full decat systems.... Mehh I dunno might be worth just popping into a local station to check for certain :) x

Yeah I know it's a mot fail but read so many different things about them some saying there legal and some saying not..... Didn't want to risk it just In case Hmmm I dunno as you still have the first cat.... But at the same time you can buy full decat systems.... Mehh I dunno might be worth just popping into a local station to check for certain :) x
DIZZY micras have 2 cats, as long as one remains its legal :)

Last edited:
I would have thought an mot place would just check that there is A cat fitted and that it works enough to show good emissions reading.

Would have thought insurance would be worst for trouble if not declared and they find it after an accident. They might try an use that to avoid paying out?

You could always replace both cats with a high flow sports cat as long as it passes emissions?
Decat completely as far as I know is an mot fail therefore technically illegal for road use, if you got pulled over and for some reason they took you to the neerest mot test place and asked them to test it it would fail. Could be wrong but at least if I view it that way it puts me off doing mods you have to change back at test time etc

Pretty much, though high flow cats need declaring too and I doubt you'll get one for the cg manifold

Yeh I thought it would need to be declared,

If you did you could probs smash the stuff out the front one and open it upt a bit then weld the sport one underneath?

Probably... I'd just fit a 4-2-1 mani and bolt a sport cat straight to the back of it (and move the flexi behind the cat)

The stock manifolds are so restrictive, a sport cat would be pointless unless you eeked some flow out of the mani to justify it :)

Jack the front off car away up undo 2 spring loaded bolts put a bit off boxsection up in2 cat and harmmer the end off it p/s ul need safety glass's lol the front cat has near a inch off honey comb like crap in it holding gases back car seems sharper after I done this tho u don't notice it as much unless u have sporty back box on

Jack the front off car away up undo 2 spring loaded bolts put a bit off boxsection up in2 cat and harmmer the end off it p/s ul need safety glass's lol the front cat has near a inch off honey comb like crap in it holding gases back car seems sharper after I done this tho u don't notice it as much unless u have sporty back box on
1402132867838.jpg

With 4 branch and almera airbox, second cat still attached. Removing it gives 1.2 more hp according to Jody

Back