Micra Wave starting problems

T

T C

My daughter has a problem starting her Micra Wave. It will start from cold with no problems, but if she drives it for a few miles, stops and then tries to start it again, nothing. Just a noise, desperately trying to start, but zilch. I tried it yesterday to get some petrol, drove about half a mile, and it restarted okay. Any ideas what the problem could be? Local garage unable to help.

Due for an MOT and service next month. Had a problem a few years ago with it starting, took it to the Nissan garage, who had it all day and could find nothing wrong. They did wash the car, though! They also suggested holding the accelerator down, while switching on the ignition and slowly lifting the pedal. This will not work with this problem. Previous problem was starting it for a very short period to move it from the drive, and then going out soon afterwards, nothing. However, if to move it you drove down the road, it was okay to start after a short time. Husband keeps saying it's the immobiliser, but nobody has agreed with him yet.

Showing my ignorance here. What is a K11 and K12? Don't all shout at once!!

T C said:
Showing my ignorance here. What is a K11 and K12? Don't all shout at once!!

They're the different models of Micra's The k10 being the earliest shape, followed by the k11 bubble shape, then finally the new k12 shape!!!!

mine did this a few weeks back, i thought i had flattend my battary or summit silly, i moved it down the drive to wash it, then moved it back up fine, then 2 hours later i went to go to a car meet and it wudnt start, took about 5 mins of just trying and eventually i put the accelarator all the way down and it turned key and it worked (dunno if that was coinsidence or anything) lol

andalayyeehah said:
mine did this a few weeks back, i thought i had flattend my battary or summit silly, i moved it down the drive to wash it, then moved it back up fine, then 2 hours later i went to go to a car meet and it wudnt start, took about 5 mins of just trying and eventually i put the accelarator all the way down and it turned key and it worked (dunno if that was coinsidence or anything) lol

did you start the car to move it down the drive? If you drive a micra only a few feet then turn it off, it can cause its-self to flood because of the ECU remembering the last journey did or something like that. Its a common problem. Just find the fuse panel, take out the fuse for the fuel pump and turn the car over till it starts and then dies again a few seconds later. Replace the fuse and start the car.

Thanks for all the replies. It's good to know, that we're not the only ones who have had problems with starting. It's a 1994 model and , apart from this problem, has been an ace of a little car. We love it to bits!

Yea - thought that to - does the orange light come on, on the dash? And do you hear the click of the Fuel Pump?

For starting......
I want to be excused for my bad english.....i came from Greece and i am living here(in Greece)
A month ago i hade the same problem...a very good friend of mine(he is a car electrician)find the problem(in the Nissan store told me that it is nothing...)it was the switch of the ignition....its contacts was broken and when i turned the key they did not do short circuit in order to send the signal to start the engine....it has nothing to do with the NATS because are saperate controled...
the cost was only 30 euro....

It has got an immobiliser. I bought the car on 30 August 1994. I don't think the immobiliser was fitted in the factory. It is definitely not standard on the Micra Wave - not mentioned in the blurb. The immobiliser is listed on the invoice, along with mud flaps etc., which makes me think the garage fitted it. We've got to sort this problem out. Daughter's talking about buying a VW Beetle!!!!!!!!!!

nnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

stop her, tie her up or something. unless it's an old classic model, then it's ok :D

Ian said:
did you start the car to move it down the drive? If you drive a micra only a few feet then turn it off, it can cause its-self to flood because of the ECU remembering the last journey did or something like that. Its a common problem. Just find the fuse panel, take out the fuse for the fuel pump and turn the car over till it starts and then dies again a few seconds later. Replace the fuse and start the car.

how totally ####ing retarded is that? lol

Titch - don't know what you're talking about. Should I? Is your comment a reply to mine or Batch?

Just moved my girlfriends K11 off the drive for it not to start when I went back to it. Removed the fuel pump fuse etc and it worked first time.

Nice one, cheers!

Back