Micra screeching sound

Hi there,

Apologies for my first post on here being a request for help!

I own a 52 plate 1.0 Micra Tempest. It runs fine; however, when it is idling (only after the engine has reached normal working temperature) the engine makes a high-pitched screeching sound. It's not loud (like a fanbelt going), but is definitely noticeable and you can hear it inside the car. It's done 40000 miles. I've also noticed also that when it is doing this, the revs seem to drop very low and, when sat in the car, it feels like it is going to conk out.

Can anybody offer any suggestions as to what the problem may be, and how I might get it sorted?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Chris

The sound used to only happen when lights/heated rear windscreen/etc were on, so does that point to it being likely to be the alternator belt?

It makes the sound whether or not the lights are on now, so the problem has perhaps got worse. Is it easy/cheap to fix?

The sound used to only happen when lights/heated rear windscreen/etc were on, so does that point to it being likely to be the alternator belt?

It makes the sound whether or not the lights are on now, so the problem has perhaps got worse. Is it easy/cheap to fix?

it does sound like the alternator belt chris, just get it tightened eh (10 minute job) :)

wont wd-40 just make it slip worse?
my dad always told me to try and keep wd-40 away from the alternator when working inside the bay!
hmmm... maybe were wrong! :(

yes, but its lubricated quiet slipping ;-) its not a repair but if u just want to shut it up fast theres nothing like it... but ideally with a new belt costing around a fiver... shud just change it :D

alternator belt, same as mine having it done tomorrow also getting water pump belt done. like to do it my self but heard its hard to get to

Shouldn't be that hard to get at the waterpump belt. Need to go at it from behind the engine through the bottom. Thats where the tensioner is :grinning:

Back