Clunking sound, timing chain...?

Jay101

Black&Yellow
Hi,

Recently I can here a noise coming from engine by all the belts/chain area when engine is cold idling, cars mileage is 116000. Its a repetitive clunking sound. Have been talking to friends and thoughts were chain to be replaced. But I don't wanna jump straight in the deep end of the pool.

Any help would be great. thanks

Note: does not make sound when engine is hot

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Sorry for the failed embed codes ;)

Yeh its quite repetitive, what cause it?? Just wear? Any visual signs?

If its just worn tensioners, you will still have to buy the chain kit :/ cheapest I've seen is £94.
yes lift the cam cover and check the upper chain, and turn the engine to check the slack

Ahh cheers frank. Cam cover meaning the side one with the ring of 10mm's nuts?

the big cover on top of the engine

223.jpg

Right-oooo pollyp, is it not a good idea to take the side cover off?? (because of the sealant?)
it is an option jay, but you need to remove the mount and bracket first, the cam cover is easier (if the bolts are,nt siezed) and you can lock a cam with a 22mm spanner to test how many deg of chainslack the bottom pulley has

Just having a thought... is it also a possibility it could be a bearing on a pulley?
Could i also check this by removing belts and starting engine and run it for a bit??

Back