Micra Rally Car Build - Questions

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
I am prep'ing a M-reg 1Ltr Micra for a very rough rally next month, and i have couple of questions :-

- Do Micra's have a fuel cut-off switch (or inertia switch) that cuts the fuel off in the event of an accident. I know other fuel injected cars have this fitted ?

- How do you remove the steering wheel lock without ruining the key lock and its switching ???

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Cheers

Matt

i don't think there is any fuel cut off system, but i am probably wrong on that. tho if it was then it would be on the later models with airbags etc. the facelift has an extra box for messuring that kind of thing.

firs of all you take the steering collum out, very easy to do you take the plastics off and then undo the four bolts holding it up, probably best to take the wheel off two, and then undo the CV in the foot well.

you will either have to drill out the security bolts with a piller drill and a G Clamp, or use a hacksaw.

problem is that it wont come off without a fight, thats the point, but i would take it off anyway if its a rally car, have a snap off boss so you can take the steering wheel off and a flick switch ignition.

if you want i can tell you how to do the ignition on switches cos thats very easy.

as for the electics, once you have the plastics off you will be able to see the back of the barrel, it has a black plastic cylinder which is the switch, its held on by a very weak screw, and then just pulls off.

I am prep'ing a M-reg 1Ltr Micra for a very rough rally next month, and i have couple of questions :-

- Do Micra's have a fuel cut-off switch (or inertia switch) that cuts the fuel off in the event of an accident. I know other fuel injected cars have this fitted ?

- How do you remove the steering wheel lock without ruining the key lock and its switching ???

Cheers

Matt

Why do you want to take the steering lock off in the first place? If it is a rally organised under the MSA rules then I don't know of any regulation which says you have to.

You don't say what sort of rally it is and the rules are very different for each type.

If it is a stage rally far more difficult to sort out is the cut off switch. Th einternal part has to be able to be reached by both crew memebers when seated with belts on. Not that simple to do in a Micra.

Thanks for the info. i couldn't find a cut-off switch in the Haynes book of lies wiring diagrams.

As for the steering wheel lock, i would like to remove it if i can. THe rally i am doing is VERY VERY rough, it is known as the roughest event in the country. Last year i did the event in a Sierra and the steering wheel lock started coming on during the event, and it is not something i would like to experience again !!!!

Car when not used has a 'Stop-Lock' steering wheel lock and one of the locks which goes on to the handbrake as well. So it is as secure as it can be.

matt

there,s no inertia switch, and i,ve always removed the shearbolts on steering locks with a centerpunch

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,
If you get chance and the have the budget I would suggest in getting this
250326669029 on ebay now as buy it now. well worth investment for the rally you plan to do.
Peter

Back