Micra K11 Ignition Key Broke in Ignition Barrel

CMF_micrafun2

» CMF Member
I will need to remove old ignition barrel and replace with one from scrappy. And I gather at the scrappy they use an air hammer to turn the bolts on the ignition barrel.

I am on the drive outside my house and how do I get air hammer or other tool to do this. I can use a punch, or impact driver but will be a long day. Will any other tool do this job? Are there electric version of the air hammer?

Pls help.....

Danny

CMF_micrafun2

» CMF Member
I seemed to have asked the wrong question.

Maybe air hammer is the only way.

Tow to a garage or mobile mechanic with air hammer might be a way.

Hope the drift punch and hammer works.

If there are any other ways, pls let me know

CMF_Tinky

» CMF Member
The same thing happened to me. I just used a center punch to loosen the bolts. It took a bit longer than I expected ! Then with a hacksaw cut a slot in the head to get a flat blade screwdriver to fit after cleaning my butchery up with a file(very hard steel). Then tap out the old key if you can. I had to take the barrel to a locksmith who cut two new keys and charged AU$38. Good Luck .

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
You need power tools to undo those bolts?? At worst a spanner with a piece of pipe or another ring spanner in it should give enough leverage.
The wreckers I've dealt with use power tools to save time... before power tools it would have been impact driver and breaker bars for stubborn fasteners and ratchets for speed.

Electric tools exist, cordless or not but they are not cheap. A ratchet spanner/socket wrench with a piece of pipe over the handle should be plenty of torque to remove any nuts or bolts.

Back