Ignition Barrel

Hi all. Is it possible to fit a scrap ignition barrel to my Micra Tempest K11 52 plate. The current one is knackered due to me snapping the key in it and taking it apart to remove the key. (I know,I should have taken it somewhere to have it removed). I can start the car as it is but only if the chipped key is in use (any key will now turn it) The quote for a new barrel is £183 + vat so a scrap one would be preferable. How does the chipped key work? is it chipped to the ignition barrel or to the ecu?

you should be able to fit another barrel cheesy, you will need to swap the chip inside the key, and the black box attached to the barrel tho

you should be able to fit another barrel cheesy, you will need to swap the chip inside the key, and the black box attached to the barrel tho

Thank you for the reply. I hope you are right as it will save a lot of money getting a barrel from the scrapyard. Update: Scrappy has one for £30 and says exactly what you have said so Happy Days! Once again thanks for the advice.

I bought the barrel but the chip in the key provided is different to the original one and the barrel was slightly different in that it didn't have the slot for the two wires that go to a plug. I had to strip the replacement one and swap the internals with the old one, thus using the old outer part and the replacement inner parts.. Anyway it now works with the old key,minus the blade, taped to the replacement key. the other key/fob I have only opens the central locking now. To lock the central locking I have to use the key part of the fob and so I assume that the wires that were on the outer part of the old barrel were something to do woth the central locking, perhaps letting it know the the key wasn't in the barrel. Anyway my next move is to go to the dealer and see if I can get a new key with the correct chip in it and get it cut to fit the barrel.

we used to shove the old key into the new barrel core, and file the tumblers down to suit the old key, is that possible on yours ?

Back