COLD START PROBLEMS

When starting my micra when it has been sat in the cold, it starts first time and runs fine, it seems to rev ok under no load, but when i put the car in gear and pull away the engine nearly cuts out, it does this for a few minutes until its warmed up, a good rev out of gear helps.

i have read that it could be the coolant temp sensor???

i have recently replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor, and cleaned the throttle body and idle valve as it was running rough before the cold weather came.

any help much appreciated.

This could be a problem with the engine temp sensor. It could also need a modified harness for the temp sensor if you car is before the VIN range jacob_ts has listed above but most cars had this fix years ago, but some have slipped through the net.
If your car is the distributor model it is worth checking you ignition timing and base idle are set correctly as these are often over looked on servicing. Especialy your base idle if you have replaced the MAF (it is worth noting even if your Micra appears to idle OK, the base idle may still be in-correct)

Hi, thanks for your replys and sorry for my late reply ive been working alot recently and havent had chance to look into this problem i have. the engine has the coil packs sat on top of the spark plugs so im not sure if the base idle etc... still applies to this engine (i dont know much about them).

All i know is ive tried 1 3rd party MAF which gave the cutting out/kangarooing effect, so i bought another 3rd party MAF which looked better quality, but it still does the same thing.

the car runs without any problems really when the MAF is disconnected.

a coolant temp sensor fail tends to overfuel once the engine has warmed up dave (like a choke stuck on) yours sounds like the opposite eh
any faultcodes ?

thanks for the speedy reply, yes i think your right it sounds more like the engine is getting staved rather than over fuelled. im not sure why but when the car is playing up ive found that turning the engine off (while the car is moving) and then bumping it off in gear makes it run pretty much fine, it seems to stop playing up but still not quiet perfect can feel alittle sluggish still.

hi just to add i dont have a code reader but the eml did come on with the original maf and it gave p0100 or something which said maf circuit or along them lines anyway, but no fault light with the 3rd party 1s.

has anyone had any luck with replacing the MAF sensor and it been ok? or is this a common problem when replacing them. ive tried 3 different MAF sensors now and they all have the same effect that the car will sit there ticking over fine but once in gear and trying to pull away the car just wants to die.

has anyone had any luck with replacing the MAF sensor and it been ok? or is this a common problem when replacing them. ive tried 3 different MAF sensors now and they all have the same effect that the car will sit there ticking over fine but once in gear and trying to pull away the car just wants to die.

I had a problem with my OE bosch MAF, so I cleaned it.

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/air-flow-meter-problem.41161/page-2

Code readers can be had off ebay £15+

Back