Micra car audio

Does any one know what size speakers would fit in a K11 with the least modifications possible?

I'm thinking for Christmas to getting a speaker/cd player/amp set.

There seems to be many packages as it were that contain both speakers/amps and subs, that appear to be rather cheap for how much you get. Many from Kenwood for example.

Also, theirs the question of weather to go for co-axial speakers, or component speakers. The drawback of course being placement (probably the doors?)

I mean, would I need an amp?
Surely that would affect the power of the car being small? But be better overall for a speaker systems general oomph?

I'm really into my music though and really want a system that, isn't too expensive, but isn't a simple run of the mill one either.
I tend to really like clarity in music. To be able to tell instruments apart, with well toned highs/lows/mids.

I certainly would not be happy for example with a basic set up where the bass seems to overpower everything else. Well balanced is the key though not exactly studio like either.

I do listen to a wide range of genres though:

Rock, classical, dance, trance, pop, metal, etc etc

Finding a speaker set that works with all these genres equally is probably a hard bet I'd imagine.

What sort of speakers/amps/subs/players (powerful enough for the system) do you recommend?

Assume for example I have a budget of approximately £300 for all :)
Is that feasible?

Just general tips/ideas for speakers you may have and like that I can maybe have a look at reviews for, etc?
Its probably best to choose separate components but that is where it becomes very hard for me

Thanks to all that reply

Power from the strereo won't affect the power of the car, well not much, the revs do pick-up at idle. Check out the ICE section on the forum for sizes, 16.5cm I think it is for the doors. For my first car stereo setup I got a decent headunit with usb input, I've never used a cd on it, about £90 openbox, 4channel 1000watt rms amp bought for £40 openbox, a couple of quality vibe components upfront £50 17cm x 6.5cm(needed spacing) and some £20 kenwoods 6x9s for low 27-4000 hertz range. Overall it's not bad, the bass from the mid components is enough to rattle the doors and I've done some ghetto soundproofing too. Tweeters in a-pillar are good and well positioned. 6x9s on MDF reinforced parcelshelf is pretty good on bass tracks but a bit overkill on anything else.

If I were to do it again, I also listen to a varity of genres, I'd buy a good 2nd hand usb headunit, and good quality components to match the output of the headunit, with alot of sound deadening in the doors. Amp and 6x9s aren't really needed if the sounds upfront are good enough imo.

Thanks Matt!

Yeah I'd have a CD/MP3 player for convenience but would probably only connect my phone on AUX and run Spotify through it or Last FM.

So if I get some good mid/high speakers I shouldn't even really need an amp if that is all I'm going to do? I read basically that any speakers can benefit from a dedicated amp, even if its just for the extra audio headroom.
I'm certainly not planning on playing music deafeningly loud though. Not in such a confined space such as a car.
That said, if I listen to Trance, I want to almost feel the bass, but yet, for other genres, want it more subtle.

I have heard of some door speakers actually that even without a sub-woofer can reach the lower 20hz frequencies, yeah, and that is all subwoofers need to reach. The only reason for seperating them I would think is to keep the mids/lows on separate speakers to improve audio quality, which is important to me.

I would love it if my speaker system in my car was better than my audio system at home, but that shouldn't be too hard given that I'm running Logitech Z-5500's, and find them a bit lacking when it comes to clarity sometimes, and especially in sonic positioning, and my dad's is running a pretty basic set up with no sub, but some Mordaunt shorts, with a Yamaha amp.

Amp would certainly help with the right speakers, but they are speakers that will perform well with the right headunit for a decent all-rounder. Take note of the RMS and make them suit/match each other.

I'm no audiophile as such, but if you want good clarity you'll need more than just good speakers, the micra seems quite poor at soundproofing, I've been in modern soundproofed cars with cheap speakers that sound much better than good speakers in a micra. So that's something that should take an equal priority imo, especially if your bass is coming from the doors. I used bituemen roofing tape in mine, worked well, but still could be better.

But sounds to me that you know your stuff, a 4channel amp, a pair of components(mids in doors, highs in a-pillars), and a pair of large/deep speakers in parcel shelf for the lows(no need for an over the top subwoofer, unless you want dirty bass), then have fun playing around with the settings on the amp, and the wiring.

Or you could do this:D

Attachments

• audio1.jpg
    audio1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 305
Thanks euro_micra

Not sure about knowing my stuff though :p I've done a bit of research though definitely, as I tend to research loads when I'm into getting something.

The Parcel shelf? That being near the boot?

There are actually quite a few component speakers that allow you to screw the tweeters onto the unit like with co-axial speakers, but the difference of course being that they use a dedicated cross over box, so should have better quality.
I think that would be more ideal, maybe if its only just to keep the highs/mids coming from around the same area for listening.
Its the bass speakers that of course can be placed almost anywhere as bass I believe is non-directional whereas the treble would be very directional.

Yeah, I may not go for a sub after all if I can get a set of high/mid/low end speakers that'll do the job.

Haha, and yes, I tend to fiddle with everything so no doubt I'd be messing with the settings quite a bit.

How expensive/easy is it to sound proof?
Best speaker makes you've heard about that aren't too expensive?

I've heard of quite a few, Focal for example, Hertz, Morel, and all the more well known brands.

^ That is simply overkill. I can't imagine how bad the sound imaging would be on that Micra, being that they'd most likely be phasing each other out

EDIT:

How do I give thanks? I can't find a button to add a thanks rating...?

Also been looking at your blogs. Loving the look of your car :D Those rims look amazing, and it looks surprisingly good without the logos/boot lock (Though why you kept changing the wheels? haha)
Also like the fact the front air filter isn't chrome so I'm guessing you painted that black?

See what you mean about the sound deadening as well, so I may have to try something like that. Must have put a lot of tape on to increase by 1KG!

How expensive/easy is it to sound proof?
Depends on your budget, I spent about £15 (or 1/3 of the price I spent on the speakers) and used the rather ghetto way to do it, the principle is basically the same but the price is different as I didn't want to spend 8 times as much for the same coverage of the proffessional stuff if it didn't work well. That's kind of the problem as you don't know how much you need. I'm going to do more to mine soon though as I've got half a tin of bitumen paint doing nothing, so I might go over all the inside of the doors with that too.

Best speaker makes you've heard about that aren't too expensive?
Might be worth checking out Car Audio Security & Car Audio Direct
I have heard good things about Sinuslive being very good quality for the money. Alpine and Kenwood are your best bet for good cheap speakers, but there's a massive choice out there, just got to read alot of reviews, good look with that:p

Not sure I'd feel comfortable setting up a speaker system myself, but maybe I should for practice. I'd certainly need someone to help me out.
It's just a shame garages etc won't let you watch them doing stuff to learn, but I guess if people learned, you wouldn't have to go there again.
Perhaps if I asked them, they'd do something to sound proof it though, but I'm doubting it if I go somewhere like Halfords.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out :)

I imagined Kenwood & Pioneer to be a rather cheap but probably effective make because they are the only speakers I can see come in packages ranging in the £200 sector, with subs/speakers/amps.
Can't seem to find them when I actually want to now though!

This though for example?
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5382.html

It's easy enough to do yourself if you plan ahead, and that way you can learn about it for the next time and have the pride of doing it yourself, and you've got to start somewhere lol.

Not sure what the packages are like value wise these days, when I was looking they all looked good but was expensive if you looked at the spec. The one you linked to for example, the amp output is 60rms, a typical aftermarket headunit will put out about 50rms a channel, so it's not a great deal imo. When looking at power figures take note of the RMS power over the peak output, as a lot of audio equipment may have a high peak power and use that as a selling point, where as it's RMS power that matters more. I spent a good few months shopping around, but I don't part with my cash easily, and I've learnt a fair bit from it too.

Ah okay, so that amp is actually underpowered for the speakers? Odd.

I wasn't really going to go that option anyway, but just wanted to see weather they would produce audio that is adequate for the price point.

Thanks again, you've been a great help.
I still can't seem to find a thanks button

Back