micra 1.0 backbox removal

Is it ok to run without a backbox on a micra?... cant be arsed fettling with grinders and welders to do the proper backbox gut job so gonna just remove it entirely....its blowing anyway and holier than cheese....anyone done this and what differences did you notice?

Would poking holes in it...just enough to make it loudish but not illegally loud....affect performance negstively? Does a micra actually need a backbox? For pressure, flow etc? Or does the backbox make no difference to the running of car?

Keep the over axle hump, get a local garage to weld it to a second hand cherry bomb type "silencer" or maybe even a bit of stainless pipe. Exhaust place might let you have a rummage for a straight half metre of pipe in the scrap.

Sounds cool...what I really wanna know is.... does the micra need a certain rate or velocity of gas flow that a backbox gives.....my current backbox is old and half knackered so I thought stuff it and earlier tonight popped loads of wee holes in the end of it...sounds wicked and still quite quietish but car seems a bit flat at low rpms...not drastic, but this could be due to my pipeless almera airbox possibly intaking too much air, going to replace standard airbox back on tomorrow and experiment a bit. Just cant see how a backbox could cause issues with performance. Any thoughts mark? As I know you have experience with "gutting" :p

Its possibly my air box setup....car felt different after I added the almera box....probably because im running it with no induction pipe/ducting....ill replace standard box tomorrow and if its sorted the flat spots then ill know its not the exhaust...if it doesnt fix it well.....id be as well popping MORE holes in it pmsl :p

Back