Melted Fusebox, common problem?

Hi, new here..

(Driving a 1998 K11 1.0) Basically noticed a headlight out the other day, went to replace the bulb to find most of my fusebox had melted. Obviously the cause seems to of been either on or around the fuse of the mentioned headlight. Ive seen a fewe photo's scattered around various forums.. Is this a common fault? What worried me is with the state of my fuse box there must of been flames, so a possible avoidance in future would be something i'll be aiming towards.

I'll get a photo later.

hi masher :grinning: and yes its pretty common, you,re best to snip the affected wires underneath and fit an inline fuse

Noticed mine was already done for me when i bought mine... needs a little tidy though,
K11Bay10.jpg

its nothing to do with the fuse box, the main beam connectors melt and short it out behind the bulbs which the fuses cant handle, which heats up and melts it all together.
i cut off my bulb connectors past the damage and solderd on some from a Jag xj6 then took out melted fuses and tidied it up and then fitted new fuses and not a problem. main cause it dampness or just the amazing k11 build quality

As you may notice, mine 'might' of created a flame lol.

Image0317.jpg

I'm actually quite stunned that the only damage is to the nearside dipped beam.

oh strange i lost my main beam completely have you checked the connectors on the bulbs? unplug them and check for melting etc but that will deffo need a new fuse box!
your very lucky it didnt catch the rest of the car alight as a major electrical problem

I know i'm very lucky, all i can assume is i bought this car for my work commute which is all motorway, assuming the fire started then hopefully it was the 70mph winds that kept the fire to a minimum and put it out. Ive heard about the connector to the bulbs melting also, but all this is fine.

Back