K11 2001 headlamp shorting problem ( not the usual)

CMF_spikem

» CMF Member
After the usual melted plug scenario following a full beam indicator staying on, left with a short on cable between stalk and headlight.

Under bonnet fusebox has 12v at fuse. 12v getting to indicator stalk.
Red/Green wire from stalk ( disconnected from stalk) to RH headlight gives 14 ohms to earth at both ends. thus causing fuse to blow.

Cannot see dim/dip unit on my schematic or relay but thinking there must be something in between giving low resistance indication. 3 relays in box at right angles to under bonnet fusebox but unsure as to what they are.

LH headlight works fine dim/dip as does everything else from indicator stalk.

Any ideas appreciated , not convinced of short in wiring loom.

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
I would look at the routing of the cable harness and see if it has chaffed onto the bodywork anywhere , dont go shaking every wire at once , just connect up the meter to the guilty wire and go round the harness bit at a time and see if the fault suddenly clears ... I have never seen a short in a loom myself but seen plenty of dodgy aftermarket butchery of bulkhead grommets , supports and wiring , so check out any changes that have been made to the car in its past ..
from what I can make out a lot of the loom runs near the top of the dash and into the inside of the wings on both sides of the car .
good luck

Back