light problem :(

right i have a m reg k11 and recently iv been having a few lighting problems. It started a few days ago when i noticed that my reverse light wasnt working. i travelled to the lake district with my mate and whilst i was travelling up there my front right head light decided not to work, so i (after already having a bulb kit for my car from halfords), decided to change the bulbs. Every ting was working before i changed both the headlight and the reverse light bulbs, but now after i have changed them the fuse for my indicators keeps blowing, the reverse light still doesnt work and my brake light on the back left(same side as my reverse light) had decided not to work.

so i changed the fuse, triple checked each bulb, checked i had but the actual fittings at the back of the lights on properly and i had. then i turned on my main lights and the rear light works on both sides, but nothing else works on the rear left light.

il attach some of my best paint pics later to illustrate

If you remove each light you had changed and test the function with out the bulbs in to see if the fuse blows, then replace one at a time and test in between. Could be a short in the bulb not a common fault but it does arise.

As above, go over what you've done. Also make sure you've put the correct bulb in? I've seen people fit a twin element bulb into a single element holder etc which is so easy to do and causes so many alarming problems. Check the headlight connection and make sure nothing is melted on the loom near to the bulb. I'm not saying thats the problem but it's worth a check. Also worth checking the earths on that rear cluster to make sure its ok

As above, go over what you've done. Also make sure you've put the correct bulb in? I've seen people fit a twin element bulb into a single element holder etc which is so easy to do and causes so many alarming problems. Check the headlight connection and make sure nothing is melted on the loom near to the bulb. I'm not saying thats the problem but it's worth a check. Also worth checking the earths on that rear cluster to make sure its ok

iv checked my bulbs and there all ok, the actuall fittin doesnt click into the part with the wires as good as the other side but im getting the light that comes on when you put your headlights on, comin on so im guessing the actual fittings ok

Well if it is the bulb holders I can supply ceramic H4 connectors. I can also supply ceramic H3 as well. but you might want to check with a multimeter first to confirm what is the fault.

Sounds like there may be a bad earth in the cluster and if that isn't the actual fault it may not be helping. Those connections on the clusters dont take much to cause problems

Had this on the other half's K11 last winter. In his case it turned out to be the driver side lights fitting itself (the black wiring plug which goes on the back of the bulb), kept blowing bulbs all over the shop.

£10 at a dealer and a bit of DIY had it sorted in 10 minutes.

I then noticed it had already been done on the passenger side, so I wonder if it's fairly common on K11's of a certain age.

Rog

Had this on the other half's K11 last winter. In his case it turned out to be the driver side lights fitting itself (the black wiring plug which goes on the back of the bulb), kept blowing bulbs all over the shop.

£10 at a dealer and a bit of DIY had it sorted in 10 minutes.

I then noticed it had already been done on the passenger side, so I wonder if it's fairly common on K11's of a certain age.

Rog

sounds like something i need to investigate! but its not the bulbs blowin, its teh fuse(s) now theres more than one :( my front one occasionally blows as well as my indicators :(

We had the same headlight problem as i mentioned in my first post. It seemed to have a bad connection which melted it. I chopped one off a Micra at the scrapyard and fitted that which has been fine since. We wern't blowing fuses though, the lights would just go off. Also check the fusebox that sits behind the radiator. Pull each fuse in turn and make sure nothing is corroded in there.

Add a picture of your cluster, hopefully one of us may be able to suggest something that helps you out.

Back