Me again

CMF_Glenj

» CMF Member
Ok tried to look for the opening/closing, but me thinks im rather way out here or there is way to much slack in the chain

when moving the crank quite a bit the cams dont really move so i can't gauge when the lobe touches via notches/clearance drops to zero, when the cams do finally move the pulley notches are no where near.

Any thoughts
Cheers

CMF_Glenj

» CMF Member
yeah always have been bud, yeah tensioner on and released the ratchet

referring to what you mentioned above about the crank could move about 4 notches before cams would move, could it just be this or sound like way to much slack

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
4 notches is pretty normal mate, and fit a thin feeler gauge under the exh cam and slowly turn the engine from about 40 deg before tdc, and you will feel it release the feeler at about tdc, then slip the feeler under the inlet cam and it should bite/trap the feeler at about 30 deg after tdc ?

CMF_Glenj

» CMF Member
ok will look at this, would the exh lobes not be pointing around 12oClock here tho?

when at TDC the lobes are at 9 & 3ish just seems i move the crank quite a bit before the exh lobe ramp starts to meet the bucket

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
your lobes should be here @ tdc mate

Attachments

• 82652.jpg
    82652.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 25

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
nah this one mate, fit the feeler under the exh cam and slowly turn the crank from about 40 deg btdc, and it will release about tdc (make a note of when it releases).
then do the inlet cam

Attachments

• 82656.jpg
    82656.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 27

CMF_Glenj

» CMF Member
ok tried this earlier,

Inlet gripped the 0.015 feeler around 20deg before TDC mark (your saying it should be after?)
Exh did not let go of ^ feeler until way after the TDC mark maybe 30/40 deg

CMF_Glenj

» CMF Member
what do you suggest bud, im thinking stick it back together see how it goes :) would i able to do changes after or would it fook it up?

off topic i know (or shall i make a new topic) have you got any pics of the injector seals, machine shop took inlet off so i dont know what came off it, the doughnut ones are still there
Cheers

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
yes see how it runs eh glen, doing the 12 o,clock to 6 o,clock/half a tooth advance is easy to do (just turn the engine 360, and reset the cams as normal) but to advance 3 o,clock or 9 o,clock would mean removing the timing cover and sump, to reset the lower chain.
and this thread is already big/slow loading eh :)

Back