• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Mark's 1.0L

Boo! MOT fail today. But not the rusty sills that I was expecting - that's their third year of advisories now so next year is likely to be "Goodnight Vienna".

OSF coil unseats on drop - tester doesn't like that, but its easily remedied by replacing the wire holding it in.

NSF Ball joint excessive play + Dust cover perished/split
NSF Suspension arm bush perished and bracket bent (it would appear that there has been some floorpan/ground interface at some point).

NSR Tyre below legal limit (Ooops) - checked yesterday but my fitter couldn't get one in a such short notice.

So all in not so bad. E-bay suspension arm ordered and the bracket will either get straightened out or swapped with one from the tourquoise car.

If your short a bracket im sure ive got a few spare i could stick in the post mate

Cheers for the offer Skinner - If I can't straighten out this one I can grab one off the other car easy enough, If that's fubared too you'll have a PM coming.

Nope. Nothing will happen for a couple of weeks, while they make their way up from the west country by pony express.

They'll be on this week. I have some ideas but they may well just stay as they are for now.

28837_10151291947885921_934778506_n.jpg

Cheers chaps.

They will be staying white for now, the white is growing on me. I have a few ideas for changing the colour but I'll have to see what takes my fancy.

I've always been rather taken with the enormous boiled sweets stuck on the wings. Though I think combined with some crystal headlights and tail lams that worked along the same lines they could look good.

I bet that looks so good in person, they make the car look all light/ quick even standing still. Nice :) If you refurb them are you keeping them white?

Cheers.

That's a job that's on the list Fran, but it will mean I can no longer park at the front of work (which is closest to my room) :)

I headed over to darkest East Sussex for a little pre-Christmas get together at a pals barn/unit/car tinkering bolt hole last Saturday. I was dealing with this sort of thing on the way there:

DSCF6595.jpg

On the way out of Lewes I clobbered a pot hole. While pulled over formulating a plan I noticed two similarly stricken cars also stopped to change tyres. Fortunately they were carrying spares!

Outside of the wheel didn't look too bad:

Photo0349.jpg

Bit of a ripple in the rim.

The inside wasn't so good:

DSCF6596.jpg

Ah, that's where all my air went.

Fortunately not too far away from the barn, and with one remaining fully sober driver still there I was able to be rescued - with the wheel from a Corsa - CB issues overcome with a slip on spacer.

Got tuck?

DSCF6597.jpg

Which got me mobile again. After which there was a pause for Cider, deep fried turkey and general talking rubbish about cars.

Some time later I got working on getting home. Starting with a lump hammer I started getting the rim back to round. It was also suggested to try a bottle jack on the inside which pushed the wheel into an egg shape, but working round the inside we were able to get the wheel with in a few mm of being round. It was filled with air and left over night.

It was still pumped up in the morning, so I gave it a try on the car. No adverse effects were felt, and it's still on and holding air now. Winner.

This happened again. :( N/S Front.

483916_10151389531515921_1892491496_n.jpg

But after some persuasion with a variety of heavy objects I had this:

163325_10151389863080921_1182557885_n.jpg

So headed offout for a test run, and found that the ballance had not been upset :)

Then had a blow out :) N/S Rear - most likely caused by damage from the last pothole incident,

421150_10151389797700921_1373589931_n.jpg

So, still having no spare, but knowing I had a tyre at home I grabbed the bare wheel from the boot and wandered the mile or so home from where I'd left the car.

Let battle commence...

58625_10151389630440921_1837003432_n.jpg

At this point I should point out that my tyre leavers and big G-Cramp (for compressing the tyre down into the well) are at work. I ended up using a length of old bed frame as a leaver, wedged under the shed, block of wood between the tyre and the frame, with my tool box hanging on the end. This press the tyre bead into the well and allowed me to leaver the tyre onto the wheel with a crow bar (not a brutal as it sounds).

One small explosion and the use of a small compressor later, I have this:

430853_10151389747155921_1247508387_n.jpg

Which I then walked back to the car fitted and brought home. Lets hope the rest of 2013 is less of a palaver.

Ahh yeah, I remember. I don't really need to be collecting pairs of wheels, but they should sell on the bay or maybe try RR first.

You're not having much luck are you. I noticed lots of rather large nasty holes in the roads locally to me today, easier to spot in the daylight.

Bloody hell Mark, that's some unfortunate bad luck. Back up and running smoothly is good news though :)
Talking about slotmags, I have a pair of Cobra 13x6 101.6PCD going super cheap, need some loving though.

Hopefully I'm done with this years motoring bad luck now! Don't tempt me.

Got this making a return to my car, having been through two other members since I passed it on before:

DSCF2880.jpg

Back