Manual Gearbox Oil...

Some queries...

I seem to have a leak between the gearbox and the sump (looking at it from underneath). Doesn't seem too bad, but there's a definite leak. It's black and quite caked on, so not sure if it's gearbox or engine oil.

1. What's the consensus, is it likely to be gear oil or engine oil leaking? I can upload some pictures if needed.

2. Where is the gearbox oil level plug? According to haynes, it should be easy to find (2001 K11, 1.0l), but after much crawling under the car and feeling, I still can't find it.

3. What is people's experience with oil additives? (e.g Wynn Gearbox Oil Leak Treatment)

4. If not, what's the suggestion?

(also noticed the CV boots are on their way out, think those will need changing before the rally)

Thanks,
M.

Forgot to say, I'm planning on changing the clutch before leaving... I can't figure out how much of the gearbox needs to come off... is it worth getting this looked at at the same time as the clutch?

What should I be spending to get a clutch changed (and what other bits are worth changing at the same time? pressure plate?)

crank seal probably M, and if you,re gonna have to pay to have all these parts fitted it,ll total thousands of £ !
you would be better to buy a later/lower milage car and just pack your gear and drive it imo

Regardless of what car I take, I will want to change the suspension and clutch... so may as well start with this one :)

M.

if you,re gonna raise the suspension by much it,ll rape the c/v joints M, new nissan ones might last 5k miles with that much angle but new copy ones will fail half way through europe imo.
i would just carry a set of high profile m+s wheels and tyres for any dirt roads you encounter, and use a car with enough grunt to turn then (100hp + )

I'm not raising it that much - just diesel springs on the front... and something else on the rear, but not sure what yet :)

crank seal probably M, and if you,re gonna have to pay to have all these parts fitted it,ll total thousands of £ !
you would be better to buy a later/lower milage car and just pack your gear and drive it imo
Can you elaborate more on the crank seal bit Frank? since I've an oil leak, the underneath of the sump has fresh oil although blackened up and even the bottom of the tranny, but the tranny noticed that it's coming from the engine side then sits at the underneath of the tranny, both felt same sorts of oil, tried smelling them and noticed their stickiness .. any pointers man what I should be after and what's invovled?

Thanks again as always,

Ian

Can you elaborate more on the crank seal bit Frank? since I've an oil leak, the underneath of the sump has fresh oil although blackened up and even the bottom of the tranny, but the tranny noticed that it's coming from the engine side then sits at the underneath of the tranny, both felt same sorts of oil, tried smelling them and noticed their stickiness .. any pointers man what I should be after and what's invovled?

Thanks again as always,

Ian
most k11,s will have a wet oilstain under the g/box ian, are there any drips on the ground ?

None under mine (on the ground that is)- but I did notice that the crank breather was really gunked up... Will be calling Nissan tomorrow to buy a new one, I have a feeling that the clogged one is forcing some oil to leak. Shouldn't be more than a pound or two for the sponge.

Also, the company that's quoted to change my clutch (£150 with me supplying the clutch) will change the crank seal for a further £40 at the same time, which doesn't seem too bad given the work required.

M.

Last edited:
Back