Manifold heatshield - removal

Ok, I figured that prior to buying a new manifold I would have a look and see what sort of state the old one was in, and try to work out how easy it would be to fit the new one. I managed to get the top two nuts on the manifold heatshield undone, but the third, in the middle at the bottom, will not move. I have tried everything: half a can of WD, heating it up, etc. The problem is that it has become so rusty that the nut is basically circular. Mole grips are also useless. Without resorting to hacking it off, anybody got any advice?

Also, I noticed that there is some sort of sensor (?) connected to the manifold next to what I assume is the 1st cat. Does the Janspeed manifold have somewhere to re-connect this? Or will it just be left un-connected (what I am worried about is warning lights coming on).

Cheers for the help. JA

If the nut is circular then the only way of get it out would be to drill it through, or hack it off!!! Either way.......ELECTRIC POWER TOOLS :D

Could just try disconnecting this wire - see if u get any lights or whatever, I know what wire ur on about - have no idea what it does....i'm sure someone does though ?!?

Just drill the old bolt out, should be fine.

The sensor is the Lambda sensor, the Janspeed manifold has a space for these to be re-attached.

had the same issue removing the downpipe from the 2nd cat, Angle grinder on the nut to cut it, then chisel it, so you break the nut off the bolt so you can keep the bolt, though if it's rusted just use a tap and die set to re thread it with the same size thread :)

Back