Lows

right gents i need to pick someones brain!

ebay is flooded with springs offering 30-35mm lowering which should be fine with the standard shocks but........

iv looked on the matt humphries catalouge and theyre offering 40s 50s and 60mm springs

just how low can you go on standard shocks before you start getting problems because id like to run some starmags with a slight streatch aswell and the search is coming up with nothing :(

right gents i need to pick someones brain!

ebay is flooded with springs offering 30-35mm lowering which should be fine with the standard shocks but........

iv looked on the matt humphries catalouge and theyre offering 40s 50s and 60mm springs

just how low can you go on standard shocks before you start getting problems because id like to run some starmags with a slight streatch aswell and the search is coming up with nothing :(
50mm is said to be the most on stock shocks and before really needing an adjustable panhard rod.

Mine's about 50-55mm on stock (front) shocks and drives completely fine, but yes you will need an adjustable panhard rod

when i chopped my springs, i cut them so they'd still just about seat properly and have no free travel on the damper. when i'd done this, it turned out to be around a 50mm drop.
I'd like to point out this is for the front.

i chopped the rears progressively to make the drop even front to rear, but they don't seat properly. i did a cut'n'shut on my panhard rod.

hopefully sometime soonish i might be able to get my dampers on my lathe and take them down a little, but now's not the time!

i cant remember the exact numbers, but with a 50mm drop, you end up shunting the axle over by about 2 or 3cm. i noticed immediately that one wheel stuck out more than the other, and that it didn't handle around roundabouts (because of the direction the panhard rod is attached, the right wheel pushes outwards, and the left pushes inwards. this effectively means your car thinks its wider rear track than it is on left handers, but narrower rear track on right handers.

i do know of people who have just added a wheel spacer on the narrow side, but i couldnt reccommend it.

Stock corsa rears shocks will cure the non captive rear springs for a 50mm drop, I got 2 for £20 and need VERY little work to fit.

Back