• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Eire's 1L Micra

Hi guys,Just thought i'd take a minute to put up a thread for my latest k11 which i only collected last night and keep all my progress updates in the one place. She's a little 1L micra S, rev counter, super s spoiler and tacky green interior lol but it can certainly move for 1L!!

Currently it's sat on standard shocks with 30mm sparco springs with 2 coils removed, theyre barely captive as it stands so going to invest in 60mm springs from Matt to go with my Spax non adjust uprated shocks. It's sporting almera sport alloys wrapped with Falken Ziex 912's, lurking behind it are a set of pulsar brakes up front

Here she is:
20120829_101519.jpg

So far i've collected a few parts that im piecing together slowly, T25 turbo and top mount manifold
DSCN0085.jpg

rx-7 intercooler
20120817_222040.jpg

Black Racing BR-8's
FB_IMG_1343842967861259.jpg

currently stripping down a cg13de to boost
20120807_213340.jpg

Recaro confetti
FB_IMG_13435901724601201.jpg

4efte intake from a glanza
20120807_213350.jpg

sr16ve throttle
20120730_183005.jpg

So thats it for now really, i've a few other bits for the car as well but hope you all enjoy and i'll update with progess as and when there is any :)

Sent from... My phone

OP
OP
Eire
Currently on the lookout for a cg13 to throw in while i build up a separate engine as theyre next to impossible to find in Ireland, also will be adding a few suspension upgrades over time like whiteline ARB's and a noddie panhard rod along with some uprated bushes to stiffen the whole lot up :)

Sent from... My phone

frank

Club Member
Currently on the lookout for a cg13 to throw in while i build up a separate engine as theyre next to impossible to find in Ireland, also will be adding a few suspension upgrades over time like whiteline ARB's and a noddie panhard rod along with some uprated bushes to stiffen the whole lot up :)

Sent from... My phone
You might be best to get a crank and rods posted or "brought over" really eh :)

OP
OP
Eire
I would but the reason for wanting a fully running engine is so I can just enjoy the added power of the extra 300cc's and I can take my time with the engine I have that's in a million pieces because that'll take a bit much work to get running

saying that, if i could get just a crank and rods ill pick up a 1L engine pretty easy here, in fact ill be collecting a facelift march soon for breaking so be a good donor for rest of the engine parts id need

Sent from... My phone

OP
OP
Eire
I know that the cg and ga throttle foot print/ bolt pattern are the same but are there any differences between the cga and cg?

Sent from... My phone

OP
OP
Eire
ah i follow, the reason im askin is because im getting an adapter made to fit an sr20 throttle much like the nismo adapter. So the two rear bolts are parallel to the fronts then if that makes sense?

Sent from... My phone

OP
OP
Eire
It's hard to make out from your picture what it is you have done but from the picture it looks as though you have a 5mm steel plate under the throttle body but im unsure how its joined to the plenum? Is there two studs tapped into the plenum to hold the throttle and then the two outer bolts off the cga throttle are holding the throttle cable bracket?

Sent from... My phone

frank

Club Member
The 8mm plate has 2 m6 countersunk bolts in the middle, pointing upwards and holding the rear 2 boltholes of the SR t/b down (thats the 1 x 10mm nuts)
Then the 4 x allenkey bolts go into the 4 cga mani threads

OP
OP
Eire
The 8mm plate has 2 m6 countersunk bolts in the middle, pointing upwards and holding the rear 2 boltholes of the SR t/b down (thats the 1 x 10mm nuts)
Then the 4 x allenkey bolts go into the 4 cga mani threads

Ah i follow now, so the plate extends the full lenght of the cga throttle, it wasn't entirely clear when I first looked at the picture, it looked as though it was only roughly the same size as the sr20 throttle, Thanks yet again Frank. You should really start charging for your advice, you'd be rich :D

Sent from... My phone

OP
OP
Eire
Anyone spot the problem here :rolleyes:

20120904_210223-1.jpg

20120904_210353-1.jpg

20120904_210408-1.jpg

Camshafts came with an engine i bought from Matt about a year or so ago didnt question it because it didnt have a slot cut for the dizzy but appears i've a pair of cg13 exhaust cams :(
Sent from... My phone

OP
OP
Eire
I just wanted to swap the inlet cam to give it a try with the 1L exhaust cam but turns out its an exhaust cam by the looks of it with the way the lobes pointed once lined up, would the cga and cg have the same shape lobe minus the dizzy slot?

Sent from... My phone

frank

Club Member
Ahh, i,ve use exhaust cams on the inlet a few times no probs, its the other way round thats awkward (i had to cut the dizzy slot on 3 of mine :) ) you have to set it manually basically (setting it to open 10deg btc)
And yes, cga are the same profile

OP
OP
Eire
Did you set it manually by removing the dowel and just tightening the life out of the cam gear?

Sent from... My phone

frank

Club Member
Did you set it manually by removing the dowel and just tightening the life out of the cam gear?

Sent from... My phone
i always file the dowels for adjustment, but it will be there abouts if you just shift the cam round the chain to the correct position :)

OP
OP
Eire
so if i just remove the cam and gear and move it back, say approximately 3 links it should run okay? obviously turn the engine over by hand just to be sure

Am I right in thinking the the inlet will basically mirror the exhaust when its in the right position?

Sent from... My phone

frank

Club Member
so if i just remove the cam and gear and move it back, say approximately 3 links it should run okay? obviously turn the engine over by hand just to be sure

Am I right in thinking the the inlet will basically mirror the exhaust when its in the right position?

Sent from... My phone
4 links innit, the inlet lobe cyl 1 lines up with the dowel, exh lobe is 4 teeth different :)
and no, they point downwards when facing each other

OP
OP
Eire
4 links innit, the inlet lobe cyl 1 lines up with the dowel, exh lobe is 4 teeth different :)
and no, they point downwards when facing each other

Yet again Frank, big thank you, going out in the dark of night to try get this fecker of a car going because i need it first thing tomorrow, stand by for an update ;)

Sent from... My phone

euro_micra

Matt :)
Inlet cam looks seriously out, cylinder 1's lobes should be facing away from each other. The inlet and exhaust dowels are in different places so rotation of the sprocket would be needed.

OP
OP
Eire
Inlet cam looks seriously out, cylinder 1's lobes should be facing away from each other. The inlet and exhaust dowels are in different places so rotation of the sprocket would be needed.

theyre so far out because it's not an inlet camshaft its a cga exhaust camshaft apparently so that' putting it out, going shifting the cam gear now while the tools are out :)
Sent from... My phone

euro_micra

I've lost my editing privilages, but I just meant not to start it like that. I've used exhaust cam on inlet before, but little more to setup it up than a simple inlet to inlet swap:)

euro_micra

theyre so far out because it's not an inlet camshaft its a cga exhaust camshaft apparently so that' putting it out, going shifting the cam gear now while the tools are out :)
Sent from... My phone

Yeah I just cringed when you posted the pic up and then said your going out to start it:eek:

OP
OP
Eire
Okay, still not starting for me :( While at TDC I removed the inlet camshaft and placed it back into place with cylinder lobe facing away from the exhaust lobe. Shifted the cam gear anticlockwise and fit it to the inlet camshaft, just to be sure I double checked the links between each mark on the sprokets, 14 between inlet and exhaust dowel, 14 between exhaust dowel and lower chain sproket and 18 between the lower chain sproket and inlet dowel.

Tightened the lot up and turned over by hand, no difficulty in turning it over so refitted everything and turned the car over with no HT leads plugged in first then popped them back in and it just cranks and struggles to fire almost as though its flooding the cylinders. Pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked and reconnected everything and still no luck :( Giving up for the night and going to bed car-less for now

Sent from... My phone

frank

Club Member
on your pic the exh lobes on cyl 3 are pointing at the outer edge of the cap bolt (thats correct) the inlet lobes of cyl 2 should mirror that

OP
OP
Eire
when i removed the plugs they were all soaked with petrol, the bores were hardly still flooded enough to stop it starting? or could that be a side effect of the timing still being out? It's @TDC, cams are in the right position, there are the correct number of links between each timing mark on the cam gears (obviously adjusted for the inlets new position)

Sent from... My phone

OP
OP
Eire
had to resort back to standard cams because i couldnt get it to run with the cga cam

Okay so, since the car was lowered by the previous owner it wasn't tracked because the tire profile was too small to fit the laser guides on but always drove perfect but whilst fitting the spacers to the car i noticed the thread is wearing wrong, can this be remedied by getting the tracking done?

Sent from... My phone

getting the tracking done now should unless its too far gone stop the uneven wear ive done it to a couple of cars and lorrys before

OP
OP
Eire
cheers for the reply, ill see if anywhere local can do it. There's also a crazy vibration coming through the steering wheel even though it drives straight, wheel balance?

Sent from... My phone

OP
OP
Eire
currently how the thread of the tires look, the channel second from the outside of the tire is worn more than the rest on both OS and NS

passo wheel
20120912_140524-1.jpg

driver side
20120912_140524.jpg

20120912_140606-1.jpg

Sent from... My phone

I don't see a problem there, other than the tyres are finished! If the tracking was seriously out they would look much worse than that.

Looks more like a camber issue to me, lowering the car can cause unwanted (for most people anyway) negative camber, most people just check the toe settings and presume all is well, they forget that camber has a big effect on tire wear. Those tires look pretty perished anyway, NCT failure straight away

OP
OP
Eire
previous owner (a good friend of mine) told me there was an issue with tracking due to the tire profile, ive the BR racing wheels with good tires on that ill be fitting for the test and to get the tracking double checked. I'll replacing the front two falkens with a new pair as i know well theyre excessively worn now at this stage and can even feel it driving

Sent from... My phone

OP
OP
Eire
See thats another possability, i do think my brakes are warped too because when braking hard i can feel it vibrate through the pedal..... waaaay too many things it could be, if the tracking isnt out ill be moving straight onto the brakes next

Sent from... My phone

Hi guys,Just thought i'd take a minute to put up a thread for my latest k11 which i only collected last night and keep all my progress updates in the one place. She's a little 1L micra S, rev counter, super s spoiler and tacky green interior lol but it can certainly move for 1L!!

Currently it's sat on standard shocks with 30mm sparco springs with 2 coils removed, theyre barely captive as it stands so going to invest in 60mm springs from Matt to go with my Spax non adjust uprated shocks. It's sporting almera sport alloys wrapped with Falken Ziex 912's, lurking behind it are a set of pulsar brakes up front

Here she is:
20120829_101519.jpg

So far i've collected a few parts that im piecing together slowly, T25 turbo and top mount manifold
DSCN0085.jpg

rx-7 intercooler
20120817_222040.jpg

Black Racing BR-8's
FB_IMG_1343842967861259.jpg

currently stripping down a cg13de to boost
20120807_213340.jpg

Recaro confetti
FB_IMG_13435901724601201.jpg

4efte intake from a glanza
20120807_213350.jpg

sr16ve throttle
20120730_183005.jpg

So thats it for now really, i've a few other bits for the car as well but hope you all enjoy and i'll update with progess as and when there is any :)

Sent from... My phone
Does the starlet inlet mani improve power eire?

OP
OP
Eire
Apparently so, its a very popular mod with japanese track micras, a tuning company called mulholland manufactured them for use with the cg13 for use with ga15 or sr20 throttles, needs work to make it fit though